Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old School Ampeg Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jow83, Jun 7, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey guys,

could anyone take a guess, even if its a stab in the dark, at what year this ampeg amp is? Its got a white power switch and these weird white switches above certain knobs.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...171&sspagename=rvi:1:3v_home#ebayphotohosting

im thinking about buying it jsut because its so cheap, but i'm not going to be able to play it first so what are your guys opinions on this amp? If i don't like if i figure I could sell it for at least as much.

If this amp is the **** could someone lpease let me know as its an awesome price.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm guessing early to mid 80's(?)

3. I would guess the same, it's definitely not 70s nor mid-late 90s. probably somewhere in between.

4. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    ok if anyone has this amp or has used it can you tell me your opinions on it, its so cheap for australia if its a good one - the Svt Classic goes for 3500-4000 in australia and svt2 are rrp 4500, although they are on sale atm for the small asking price of 4000...

5. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Without a closeup of the back, my guess would be it's an MTI-era SVT, circa 1981-1984.

There's some info in this old thread about MTI SVTs. (Note that this post references "MTE" which is supposed to be MTI, the company that bought Ampeg from Magnavox in 1981.)

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've seen it, last night in fact... I feel sorry for the seller, if he doesn't realise it. He's put it really low, thinking theres a reserve (He stated that in the listing), when Aussie Ebay does NOT do reserves anymore. I'm going to send him an e-mail I think... I'd hate to see someone lose an old SVT for $1500 when they wanted about $4-5000 or so.

7. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah I see,

ok dude if thats the case I will refrain from bidding from it, but you should tell him soon as I'm guessing Im not the only one who was going to wait until the last day to bid for it.

If he was wanting 4-5 grand for it I'm not interested - this would be my whole budget for head + cab gone. I might email him though and see if we can reach a private arrangement.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, I don't know if he wants that amount, but thats generally what they go for, or more for vintage ones over here.
    I did e-mail him, he hasn't replied, but yeah.
    Fair enough if he wants that amount, it's just that he says 'Bid quick and bid high' or whatever and says that he has the right to pull the auction if it doesn't meet reserve that's got me thinking.

Maybe he just has a reserve in his head, and watching his auction, if he doesn't get enough or doesn't look like he will, he'll pull it out at the last minute?

I'm not sure.

9. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    yeh dude, well I have sent him an email seeing if he wants to make a private sale, and I'll be keeping my eyes on the amp.

How does it sound and stuff?

10. Hehehe I can answer this- and I am trying my ass off not to bid on it-
    as I have a GK 800RB being sent to me from teh USA on Monday.

Anyways, how do the SVT's sound- Well I was lucky enough to play an
    SVT Classic hooked upto an 8x10 not long ago- I must say It killed the sterile / Trebley sound of my Hartke cabs, through my GK (yes it is the cab, I have played the GK through a few cabs, and it's much better.

So the SVT, well what do you consider warm? The SVT is warm alright, in fact it's thick and juicy, very deep yet very warm- can we say warm any more? YES! I quiet like the sound, it's not so much Hi-Fi, but thick, well rounded tone, never really harsh or anything. I spent about an hour on it- and it even made my crappy playing sound great***. Ok Responciveness- Well it's certainly not a fast amp- A GK or an Agulair AG500 is an example of a fast responcive amp.

Over all, its an amp that sounds great- weighs a ton, costs alot... But they are very popular with pro artists, because they cut through- and add a very thick, warm low end. IF you can get it cheap go for it... If you have to blow some of your cabinet budget, then go for it... If you have to sell your house, think about it first- THEN GO FOR IT! :bassist: Your wife might forgive you one day!

You'll like the sound no doubt- if you dont let us know, and I'll buy it off you :)

*** Note: Not Garuintied to make crap players sound great*

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    wouldnt that be one of the japanese models? from what i have read they arent the same as the 70s SVTs.

12. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    what was your opinion of this amp poppinfresh?

i have some close up of the back and front panel, the front look in awesome condition considering its ex hire, but the back looks like it was on fire at some stage of its life!

how did it sound?

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've never played through an older SVT. Only ones in store.. The new ones I think are very below par.. But from a spectators view and listening from crowds at gigs, older SVT's sound wicked.

What cab would you be running it through? If it's got new tubes in it, for that price, it'd be hard to beat.

14. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    i thought you meant you had played it mate!

home made cab's atm :rollno: ampeg 810e or similar soon tho :)

i've been talking to him a bit, hes after a bit more then the ebay listed price coming into the range i can geta bassman 300 new for.. still thinking about it though