1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old timey/folk/grass Bass Arrangement

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by woods, Jul 19, 2007.

1. woods

woods

Sep 3, 2004
    Hi,

Bruce Linfield over in the lounge suggested that I post somewhere over here in the Double Bass place.

So I'll ask you guys here what you think?

Hello,

Are there any forums at "Talk Bass" where I can put links to MP3 for discussion?

I am producing a old timey country/folk/blue grass song for the first time. I think it should include an upright bass.

Could you guys tell me what forum to post an MP3 of the song - so that I could get some thoughts on what bass parts might work?

Thanks,

Woods

2. woods

woods

Sep 3, 2004
    Here's a way you all could help me get going with this thing:

Would you all mind posting a song by a group - recorded in the last 5 or 10 years that you could point to as a model for the acoustic bass (especially) but also the other arrangements as well - 3/4 time songs. Just a guide-line sort of thing-something that you could say: "maybe something like this (song) or something like this (song)."

I need inspiration - a kick start - "songs that you could hear Old Country Dancehall being just remotely similar to."

Thanks,
    Woods

3. You might try asking the same question over at BlueGrass Bass Place:

http://www.bluegrassbassplace.com/phpBB/index.php

Or you could just buy some commercial CDs or i-Tunes downloads featuring bass players such as those nominated for the IBMA Bass Player of the Year:

Here is the IBMA 2007 Candidate nominations for Bass Performer of the Year:
    Barry Bales
    Alan Bartrum
    Darren Beachley
    James Booher
    Travis Book
    Mike Bub
    Jere Cherryholmes
    Jack Cooke
    John Cowan
    Dennis Crouch
    Ray Deaton
    Mark Fain
    Tom Gray
    Mickey Harris
    Byron House
    Charles Humphrey
    Ben Isaacs
    Morgan Jahniq
    Beth Lawrence
    Todd Meade
    Jason Moore
    Andy Moritz
    Mike Paisley
    Todd Phillips
    Missy Raines
    Mark Schatz
    Tony Shorter
    Terry Smith
    Marshall Wilborn

4. woods

woods

Sep 3, 2004
    I will. This is the first I've heqrd of that forum.
    Thanks,
    Woods

5. Hey Woods :) ..... Make double-whammy-sure you listen to the bass-playin' by The Huskey Family if you want to hear what ROCK-SOLID / STRAIGHT-FORWARD / HEART-BEAT country/bluegrass bass playin' sounds like .... here's a thread that has a discography of Huskey Bass Playin'.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331160

Go out right now and buy the "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" Volumes 1 & 2 (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band). Turn yer bass boost up as far as it will go and listen ..... that will give you an idea of the sound I suspect you are lookin' for :p !

EDIT: As far as yer interest goes in 3/4 (waltz) time goes .... I believe that you will find that any good bluegrass and/or country album will have at least 2 to 4 waltz-time songs/tunes on there if you just listen and do the count (some of them are damn-fast waltzes :p ). I also highly recommend listening to Kent Blanton on the David Peterson & 1946 albums (and all the bass players listed above). Good Hunting ..... There's Plenty of Game Out There ;) !

6. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    A simple I-V sounds good on most waltzes. So, if the song is in G, you go: G-2-3-D-2-3-G-2-3-D-2-3... Just Keep doing a root/V to wahatever chord the song is on, If the first chord change goes from G to C, when it switches to C you would be playing C-2-3-G-2-3-C-2-3-G-2-3...

7. woods

woods

Sep 3, 2004
    Hey boys,

I been over to that bluegrass bass place an registered yesterday - stll ain'y got no clearance yet:(

so anybody else around wanna take me on as a loser down on his luck lookin for a break? :)

W

8. woods

woods

Sep 3, 2004
    Somebody over at Songwriter101 mentioned Paradise by John Prine as a having some remote similarities to OLd Country Dancehall.

What do you all think?

Woods

9. Yes, it has the feel of the old country dancehall. This is an example of the type of walk you would do between chords that mpoppitt mentioned earlier.

10. Woods . . . sometimes it takes a little while to get a response from bluegrass bass place . . . the administrator might've been out playin' a gig (and/or recovering from one) . . . & . . . he travels quite a bit on his day job - so - he's not there full-time to mind the store . . .