1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oldie But Goodie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alanolynn, Jul 11, 2018.

1. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Scored a sweet deal on a classy older Fender BXR 300R with a matching 410H cab. Both of them for a whopping $200!!!

I know its not the best amp from Fender, but you have to admit, for its age, this thing is in GREAT shape!

I've seen plenty of threads and reviews on the 300C Combo, but not much on this particular combination (typically with the spectrum 1X18 and 2X10 cab)

Thoughts? Opinions? Gripes? Funny looking growths? :wideyed: IMG_20180710_201141_01.

BrentSimons, pcake, Linnin and 2 others like this.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it sounds good, it is good. So how's it sound?

3. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I'm really enjoying it. Playing with a group tomorrow, so I'll see how it acts in the mix, but I'm positive it'll hold it's own in a four piece setup. Updates to come!

BrentSimons and Munjibunga like this.
  4. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Fender uses that same head in their BXR300C combos. I know because i have the amp from one and use it somewhat regularly either with a seperate 410 cabinet or in a 115 combo. It holds its own in the mix quite well.

Enjoy!!!

BrentSimons and Linnin like this.
  5. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    I've seen the 300C combo (indestructible!) but never as an amp head.

alanolynn likes this.
  6. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    After loading the stack up, I'm also impressed with the weight of the cab. I was certain that it was going to be a monster to move, but it faired just the same as most others. That said, its still heavy, but no where near what I feared. Practice after work today!

Linnin likes this.
  7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Just sold my one of these. Loved the sound, and never the slightest problem, but the weight and size got too much for what I do now.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Ahhh those old 'Red Knob' Fenders! Still see plenty around. Mostly guitar amps, but the BXRs have also held up well enough. They were replaced by the Fender Rumble line in 2003.

alanolynn likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My slight OCD wants you to turn the amp so that it is parallel with the front of the cab. :nailbiting:

Other than that, sweet looking rig! I don't need it. But I would hit that for a couple hundies in a minute.

wildman2, alanolynn and pcake like this.
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Then don’t look at the orange garbage can lid that is not positioned right, one of the four aluminum tubes is not at the same angle as the others, the bicycle hand grip is twisted. Not to mention the instrument cable is a rat’s nest.

:laugh:

11. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I used one of those for years. Bought it new in the 90's and still going as far as I know. Much better than anything Fender's kicking out right now

12. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Slight? Honestly, if you're on TB, you have more than "slight" OCD o_O

Yeah, I noticed after the picture. I was in a stoked rush to share with my fellow TB-ers, but rest assured, it has been rectified.

Another small bit of gear not pictured that I'm enjoying: TC Electronics "Dark Matter" Overdrive/Distortion. Yes it for g***ar, but I really enjoy it for thickening my mids. ---don't hate

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    two fingers likes this.
  13. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Yikes! Looks like I need to get my life in order!!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    BTW, nice rig and at a fantastic price.

alanolynn likes this.
  15. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Okay. Practiced with a new group last night...in a small, cold, dank, cement basement....

That being said, the Fender still did alright. Sound trailed off unless everything was played on the E and A strings, but I wasn't directly in front of the amp, so it was hard to gauge. All in all, I enjoyed the sound, (I kept everything at 12 o'clock to get used to the sound before tweaking) but I'm rethinking my cab situation.

The 4X10 is nice, but I want a smaller footprint, with better mid response. I'm thinking dual 12"? Basically, I want punch, and to lose a lot of the unnecessary subsonic lows that don't suit what I'm playing. (four piece with one guitarist on acoustic)

P.S. the drummer is a little over excited, loud, and full of fills, so I'll have to pull him aside and educate him. "He's just a boy, don't know no betta"

Munjibunga likes this.
  16. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Mine appeared to have a high pass filter rolling off from about 50hz down, so there ought not be much in the way of genuine subsonics. Perhaps you simply need to eq aggressively to suit what sounds like a rather challenging room? Be a bit of a pain if you changed the cab to suit your practice space and paid a price in gig sound.

alanolynn likes this.
  17. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Sound advice. More tweaking ahead!!

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Just don’t drop the damn thing on your foot! :roflmao:

19. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Oh man. :dead:

20. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Especially not end on with those rack ears in place...