Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Olivs

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Shornick, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    Was just wondering if anyone has had the wrapping start to unwrap on these. I have a G & D on my bass, love the sound and easy to play but after only three months the wrapping on the g string is separating in quite a few spots, doesnt feel very good running fingers over this. I am mainly playing pizz with maybe one or two tunes a night arco. Not slapping the string at all. I do love the sound of these strings, but if this is a common thing, I dont think I can afford these every three months. Thanks.

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use Olivs on G & D and Eudoxas on A & E. Here's something that happened to me last year:

I was moving house and for a while we were living in trailers. Its was just when winter was coming on. I kept my bass at the office during this time (a couple of months). In the office it was really dry and basically what happened (I believe) is that the cores of the strings shrunk and the windings started separating. On all the strings and in lots of places - first at the bends on the bridge and then elsewhere. Pirastro were very good about this and replaced the whole set but since then, I've alway detuned my strings after every time I play. I do this in case the humidity changes. Usually it's not going to be a problem because in my house the temperature and humidity are quite stable but I still do it as a precaution and a matter of habit and I've never had problems since. And yes it's damn expensive to replace an entire set. Apart from this one thing and of course the fact that the tuning is quite easily affected by the environment, I love the strings - the sound and the feel and I feel they are a pretty important part of my sound.

Adrian

3. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    Thanks for the info. That's what I thought might have happened. It has already gotten cold and dry a few nights here in Minnesota and this is my first winter here with the Olivs. I guess I will call Lemur tomorrow and next day air a new G since I have to record an audition cd next week and need my bass for practicing this week.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Or why not call Chris @ Quinn Violins? I think they are in Minneapolis and he had the best prices on Olivs when I was using them.

Monte

5. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    Thanks for the advice Monte, didn't realize how close Quinn is to where I am. Not from here originally. Will call there in the morning,

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The set of strings that I had problems with were from Chris Quinn. He told me to contact Pirastro directly and as I said, they were very good about it. I've had no problems since then but of course I've also been doing the detuning thing.

7. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    I have to say that Pirastro wrote back to me very quickly and are going to send a replacement. They were very nice and helpfull. I had run already to Quinn Violins and gotten a string but will be needing another soon I am sure. The people at Quinn were great and Scott showed me around and was extremly helpfull. What started out bad with the string worked out well in the long run.