1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ollllld Pedulla- Am I sitting on trash or treasure?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bucket222, Oct 27, 2009.

1. bucket222

bucket222

Oct 25, 2009
    I bought a Pedulla Buzz bass off of Craigslist a couple of years ago because I've always wanted a fretless. I've owned this bass for a couple of years here, but, regrettably, haven't played it that much.

I was considering selling it, until I started researching this bass a bit. The serial number on this fella is 0916, which puts it at a manufacture date of 1984. Not only that, but it looks like Pedulla usually uses Bartolini pickups. This guitar is outfitted with Smith pickups.

I thought I'd submit to some minds that are brighter than I- does anyone know about Pedulla basses from this year? Any info would be appreciated. For all I know I could have accidentally stumbled onto a really special instrument. Or, I could have just another beat-up used bass. Or something in between. Not really sure. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Pics always help the process, but we cant tell you what it's worth, just general info. Because you aren't a supporting member.....yet

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    By 1984 Mike was already building at a fairly steady clip; he'd been making basses under the MV Pedulla monicker since 1977 at least. (And those original late 70's Pedullas had Dimarzios.) Perhaps what you have is a 3rd party modification, i.e., the previous owner added the Smith pickups after the fact?

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Go to a local Barnes & Noble or other big book store and look for a book on vintage instrument value. I have an old Pedulla and did the same a few years ago. I was surprised to see that it's not worth all that much. In fact, it was listed as being worth less than I paid for it new back in '79 or '80. My serial # is 026 (IIRC).

5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Email or call Pedulla. They're really good about answering questions about specific builds.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    TB Basses forum Rule #1

No pics = no bass!

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Old Pedullas don't bring that much money.

8. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

Old ones are interesting but I prefer brand new Pedulla's!

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I had #033. It was a pre "buzz" fretless. It was a great bass, but resale on it was next to nothing. But I bought it in late 70's for $375 and sold it in the late 90's for about 750.00.

Mike