1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP MM32 - Pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gerison, Apr 12, 2010.

1. gerison

gerison

Jun 5, 2008
    Europe
    Hi!

I came up with the idea these days to get a better bass sound and was considering that it would be probably the best to start with the pickups from my olp mm32 than getten the compressor or the chorus which I was thinking about as well.

So my first question is. I'm I right by starting with the pickup, before I come up with the other stuff.
    When it comes to the replacement of the pickups, would I have to replace the electronic as well. This Bass has 3 Band EQ and a 5 pos Switch.
    And the last question is, how much shall I invest so that I get the highest payoff in terms of sound related the fact that's a cheap bass anyway.

It would be cool if I could get some Ideas from all these pros out there.

2. On both my OLP MM2 (single pickup) I put a Seymour Duncan SMB-4A and they sound massive.
    Other pickups get great reviews (the Nordstrand one in particular) but I love what the SMB-4A does to my OLPs.

No need to change preamp. The SD pickups have 4 wires clearly marked so it shouldn't be difficult to rewire the thing like the original.

3. gerison

gerison

Jun 5, 2008
    Europe
    I Just learned, that the OLP MM32 has a paritcular narrow string spaceing, (not that I noticed that allready) but I just figured out that the poles of the pickup has to go along with the narrow string spaceing. Norstrand offers different MMs for Lakeland or OLP pe.
    How about the Duncans... has anoyone an idea?

gerison

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    well to start off, bass sound and effect is totally different thing.

Compressor and Chorus surely will give you a different sound but the pickup will give you a more direct bass sound. Bad bass tone going into effect will sound pretty bad to my ear. So you are right to start replacing pickup first if you think the bass is lack of something.

Delano, EMG, Seymour Duncan, Nordy and many more is good. They all sound different. What type of tone you looking for? any example?

EMG will give you a much more HiFi type of tone where as other will give you completely different type.

Also replacing preamp on your bass is another option too, but i would start off with pickup first then the preamp if needed. After that then look into effect to give you different type of sound.

Hope this help you.