1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP pickup blend in a replacement unit?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunderthumbs73, May 4, 2010.

1. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Hello. I have an OLP 4-string Stingray copy. I like the passive nature of the bass, but the thing I really like is the ability to have each one of the sets of coils (front and back) controlled like a Jazz Bass setup where there is two volume knobs and one tone knob. I did a little search and also looked at a couple pickup manufacturer websites to see if I could find a company that produces one like this for purchase. I could not find anything. Links?

The second thing I'm thinking is also that perhaps a stock MM pickup that one would find in a EBMM can be reasonably/easily modded to do the same thing. I don't know. I like MM pickups, and Stingrays, and electronics, but I'm no expert at product or technical knowledge of any of them.

The interesting thing is that I find I really want to hang onto this bass for exactly the opposite reason people mod them. I want to keep that pickup and control config, whereas it seems many want to gut the electronics and (understandably) make an active and traditional Stingray on the inexpensive OLP platform.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have. Sorry if this topic has been beat to death somewhere else. I haven't yet been able to find the thread or conversation which addresses it from my angle.

2. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    as long as the MM pickup has 4 conductors, or separate wires for each coil, you can wire it so you can control each coil with a volume knob. I think almost all MM type pickups for sale have wires for each coil. I didn't like the way the pickup hummed when I adjusted the volumes so I gutted the electronics and installed a series/parallel switch, and a preamp.