1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP? Squier? Or Mexican Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireArm, Mar 11, 2008.

Which One???

Poll closed Mar 21, 2008.
  1. OLP MM3

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Fender Mexican 5 String Jazz

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  1. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    I want to buy a five string and the burning question is which one am I better off going for - money isnt really a problem but i'd like to get the best value.

So should i buy...

1) - OLP MM3
    2) - Squier 5 String Deluxe Jazz Bass
    3) - Mexican Fender Jazz Bass 5 string

I played a mexican fender one the other day I must say i was very impressed I love the massive body these things have.

What about the Squier and the OLP? im sure there are loads of people who have had dealings with these things - please share

Thanx In Advance :bassist:

2. i also enjoy the mexican jazz 5 alot too, but im gonna go for an american one if i can manage.

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I don't own any of these, although I do own a Fender American Jazz. I was, however, just at the music store yesterday and they had a used OLP MM3 5 string that I tried out and was very impressed by. It had a massive sound, and the neck was dead on. If I weren't so hesitant to own a 4 and 5 at the same time I would have bought it. ($150 used) Before yesterday I would have said Fender MIM. Today I'm saying OLP. Most importantly though, play first. I've played some MIMs that felt and sounded great too.

4. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    I have played all three @ gc & samash but with 19mm spacing, comfortable neck great tone & low low price of $299.99 I purchased a Beautiful Black Squier deluxe Jazz V .

Funny my 1st bass back in 89' was I Squier Jazz made in Korea, and I vowed to never purchase another squier,boy have budget basses improved and Squier is now a top dog amongst value basses.

Squier is really coming around with some great new additions to thier line. I wish Fender could be as innovative, I guess they want thier "lesser" brand to catch up.
    Well if you want a 5-bass with standard spacing confortable neck @ a great price I highly recommend the SQUIER.

5. In order of preference:

1. Squier Deluxe Jazz

2. OLP MM3

3. MIM Jazz

IMHO, of course.

6. Get the OLP now & sell it later - the whole OLP franchise has been discontinued.

7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V $299

Squier Affinity Jazz V $199.

I own both,, absolute best bang for the buck

8. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I said MIM Jazz, based on my experience.

I've heard good things about the OLP's

I would take a close look at the Squier Vintage Modifieds if you want a 4 string.

My next bass will be a VM fretless Jazz.

Edit: I should have read the OP more carefully - you *did* say 5 string

9. I have a MIM 5'er. I bought it used (mint, really) for $275. The Squier's I've played have been really nice, but I saw the Fender first and the neck, weight and balance are wonderful. Mixed reactions to OLP's at my local GC would have me steer away.

10. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    none of these are bad, what kind of music do you play?

11. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    I've tried many different Musicman OLP's before. It always left me wanting more.

12. I own an OLP M22 and a MIM Jazz. As far as I can tell, there are no significant differences in quality of build or sound quality. They both play well and sound just like they're designed to. Can't volunteer an opinion on the Squier.

13. boing

boing

Feb 15, 2004
    WNC, USA
    I played a few MIMs recently looking for a passive "upgrade" to my Squier DJAV. All of them had crooked necks and sloppy fretwork. :meh: That was enough to kill my GAS for one completely.

My Squier is dead straight and the fretwork is immaculate. It puts the Mexican Fenders to shame. I'll look at the Vintage Modifieds first when it comes time to feed my P-bass jones.

Haven't played the OLP.

14. RikBass

RikBass

Nov 15, 2006
    Perth Australia
    I own a variety of basses but was yesterday reccomended to try an OLP 5 string 2 pickup version and must say i was very impressed for the money.
    It played really well, was tonally nicely balanced, the fit and finish were very good and the active pickups allowed quite a variety of tones.
    I actually played a "real" Stingray directly after, and, you know what?
    A closed eyes comparison they were virtually identical. The Real one was slightly higher output but for feel i actually preferred the OLP!!
    And the stingray was more than 3 and a half times the price!
    I'm getting one!

But as others have said, sit down and play them all and get the one that suits you most for feel and tone, not what the headstock says.
    cheers

15. Look into Cort 5 string basses, cheap but excellent. The GB75 is a better bass than a Squier Deluxe, and probably measures up against a Mexi Jazz nicely too.

It's about quality not names.

16. I voted

Fender - 1st place
    Squier - a very close second
    OLP - not impressed

17. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I must be the only one who doesn't care for the Fender MIM 5er. Huge body, tight string spacing, and lifeless electronics in all the ones I've played. I would definitely take the Squier over the MIM Fender and the MIM Fender over the OLP.

If the Squier thing really bugs you, I would save a little extra money and get the Fender Jazz 24 V as its far superior to the MIM Jazz 5er IME.