1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OMG, He's using a PICK!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by EricMordus, Dec 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    In my 35 or so years of playing I started as a pick player and stuck to that until @ 10 years ago, when I put the picks away and forced myself to develop a finger style. I have stuck with playing almost exclusively with my fingers ever since.... until @ 3 months ago.

I haven't really played in a cover band in @10 years, but now I'm playing some songs that simply don't work as well with fingers, they need that attack and precision of a pick. So now I'm at @50/50 fingers/pick during my bands sets.

Anyone else coming to this realization?

barrenelly, petch, WillieB and 22 others like this.
  2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Been a pick player my whole life, I’ve found when needing a finger style attack I use a pick that mimics it.
    So I’ve never felt the urge to change.

Papalampraina and GManfromOz like this.
  4. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    50/50 too

barrenelly, Squittolo and REMBO like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Pick player until I joined TB and found out what a low-life, d-bag, hack bass player I was.:woot::bassist:<This guy looks like he's playing with a pick

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    You're welcome! :cool:

7. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Pick player.

But then, I started on guitar. So...

Stumbo and fretter like this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    A good musician should be prepared to use any technique that makes the song sound right.
    Picks, fingers, fingerpicks, slapping, tapping, harmonics, ebow, broken bottle, funk fingers, etc.
    You can't cling too preciously to one.

9. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I swing both ways, but fingers are still best.

10. Sir Paul uses a pick. Berry Oakley used a pick. Leon Wilkeson used a pick....

So I figure I'm in a good crowd.

Eikari, Stumbo, barrenelly and 7 others like this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    This thread could quickly turn into- What's 'better' or 'right', as if there were rules about how you make your music.
    As soon as there are rules, the ART is lost.

12. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Oh, I won't stand for that nonsense...
    NO RULES, It's MUSIC, and if we had to follow rules for music we'd still be smacking tree trunks with rocks and be satisfied.

hombass likes this.
  13. mbasile

mbasile Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2015
    I play finger style, but always have picks laying around. I’ve been getting into learning some Flogging Molly stuff, and Nathen uses a pick so I figured it was a good excuse to force myself to increase my skills. It is just another tonal option, like pickup selection or rolling on/off the tone knob.

ghostinthemach and wmmj like this.
  14. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    Picks are a PIA to keep up with. If I'm ever asked to play a song that requires a pick like maybe "Would?", I just borrow one from the guitar player. Or I just play it with fingers, no one really cares either way lol.

MikeMig, hombass, mgash and 3 others like this.
  15. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    90% pick, 10% fingers. Been that way for about 30 years.

16. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    Yup.

I’d play “Would?” With a toothpick before I played it with nothing. That “would” sound lame. ;)

17. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Geezer used a pick........once.

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I'm about 75/25 with fingers being my dominate style. Some songs just sound/work better with a pick though. Example: I just recently learned "I'm Burning For You" by BOC. Pick with a touch of chorus and I'm there. Fingers not so much. Just another wrench in the tool box for me.

ghostinthemach and Stumbo like this.
  19. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Yeah, started on guitar, but I also did a bunch of finger picking on guitar too.

Went to bass, dropped the finger picking, played exclusively with a pick, but I play punk, originals, so it works for our sound. Recently though I've started working up the fingers, both in the standard bass player fashion, and adapting the classical guitar approach to finger picking, well the form, not so much playing in two voices, but that's the ultimate objective, not that I'll ever use any of it with my band, but hey, I can always start a new one!

20. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    About 50/50 for me.