Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Pickup Bongo 5 vs. SR5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have owned a couple of SR5s and I think they are great basses. Anybody here play or own a Bongo 5? How similar is it to the SR5, does it offer any different tones. I know I can get a new Bongo 5 $300 cheaper than a new SR5. Those painted finishes are great money savers!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You should probably play one to make sure you agree.

IMHO, the two pickup Bongo 5 gets the classic Stingray 4 tone, and the Stingray 5 does not. It gets in the neighborhood, but doesn't nail it.

I have not yet played a Bongo 5 single pickup(haven't seen one yet) but since it has the same bridge pickup, I can't imagine it sounding different than the 2 pickup model.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The pickup on the single pickup Bongo is not in the same place as the bridge pickup on the dual pickup Bongos.

I played a couple of single pickup Bongos at NAMM, and really enjoyed the way they sounded. The fretless had quite a bit of growl that I thought sounded amazing.

I plan to pick up a single pickup Bongo at some point. It doesn't sound like the other Bongos, but it has a great tone all its own.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Approximately how far up is the single pickup moved?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How wrong I am!

Does it get the 'Ray 4 tone, or no?

I am still trying to talk myself out of a dual humbucker Bongo.

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    In all honesty, I've not played Stingrays, or Sterlings, enough to have an informed opinion on their sound. I've only played one Musicman bass that I liked before I played a Bongo, and that was a fretless Sterling that was modified by Mike Lull.

NAMM isn't exactly the best environment for subtle comparisons, either. There is a definite difference in the character of the sound, but I wouldn't be comfortable trying to describe it now after two months and such a short demo. I just know I liked it at the time enough to want one for TI Jazz Flats to go with my other two. :smug:

Sorry I couldn't be more help. :meh:

I think you should stop talking yourself out of a HH Bongo, and just get it. :D I'm a pretty big advocate of the Bongos, and I just found out that my fretless SC/H/P Bongo has been setup and is ready to ship from SLO today. :hyper: After months of playing them, I can safely say that if you know how to operate an EQ, you can coax quite a few different usable tones out of one with ease.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    kudos to MM for making the bongo so darned ugly that no matter how good it may sound, i won't have to worry about GASsing for it............... :p

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks for sharing.

Oh, wait. I meant to say, "No one cares."

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Josh, I think that if you crank the PU control all the way back to the bridge and add a bit of lows, you'll get a pretty accurate Stingray-esque noise. It takes some experimentation based on amp, room, cabs, etc, but I am definitely getting SR tones outta my dual H Bongo.

As someone listening to Rush Limbaugh once said, "Ditto."

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jack's good at mucking things up. That's why the US Gov't left him in South America for so long. :D

:ninja:

:bag:

11. I'm not that guy.. but, ditto. :D
    It's too bad that people have the same cosmetic biases against the Bongo that they have against Reverends. I've played bassmonkeee's Bongo, and I loved it. I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in the little things, like, oh, I don't know, playability and tone.

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

He's more than welcome to discount a bass because he doesn't like the looks.

But, to go into a thread called "One pickup Bongo 5 vs SR5" simply to say you don't like the looks of a Bongo is like walking into an Outback Steakhouse to declare, "I don't like steak. It tastes like poo."

In other words, you only manage to draw attention to yourself and look like a moron in the process, so why bother? :eyebrow:

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Um.....sorry?

I just hope you get what makes you happy, my brother. That's what it's all about. Picking it up and saying, "Oh hell yeah."

14. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

I think the same way!!!!!!!!

15. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Well I have one of each - and I perfer the styling/tone of my SR5 better than the Bongo. But they're both GREAT basses!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    It still escapes me, this concept of coming into a thread about a bass you don't care for.

I'm not in your Warwick threads, am I?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Feel better to get have gotten that off your chest, do ya? :eyebrow:

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

They are all jealous, Jack. I mean, it's like in grade school when you didn't know any better, so you pulled the hair of the girl you liked, or threw dirt at her.

They are all drawn to the Bongo. But, the Bongo denies them it's essence.

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Nice sig Jack ;)

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Thanks.

Listen, don't say anything, okay, but I stole it.