Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

online tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    :mad: Look at this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

I can read music but also enjoy using power tab archive to access songs that you cannot buy music for (bass)
    Lawyers are behind this and it is all about making themselves richer.Nice way to stop musicians especially beginers from exploring music.

Try looking up anything at power tab archive. Most of it is gone now!

Maybe I should cut my ears off for fear of being sued for listening to anything without paying a fee or gouge my eyes out for fear of being jailed for seeing something I shouldn't

This world is going to hell and lawyers and rich people are taking us there!

2. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    we've been talkking about this for the past month.
    But yes, it is dumb, and MxTabs, Powertabs, and some others have already closed due to it...

3. omfg no more mx tabs o_O

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    There really is no logic in shutting down tab archives. Yea, being a musician I can easily see where cracking down on P2P music pirating services would make sense, but tabs?! Where will it end...

5. Caution: Entering a rant zone!

this is completly retarded. This will hurt the music industry in the long run. Less musicians will catch on due to no tabs available. For a beginner, tabs are life. Since their will be no tabs, less musicians will have the drive to start or continue playing and eventually make a band and make music. I agree that the p2p networks should be shut down. THAT is what the music industry should be worried about and dealing with. Hmm lets take a closer look. p2p networks allow people to get music WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. This is killing record sales and also dvd, concert and games sales seeing as they are also available on there. Tabs allow people to play songs for fun or at the most play a cover of it at a concert. Tabs are not hurting the music industry if anything they are helping it! This is completly insane. I wish we could just go back to simpler times like the 70's when we got plenty of great music coming out, no internet, no burning of cds, no p2p networks and going to a concert of your favorite band didn't require your month's salary. Well this is just my opinion.

Rant over.

6. At the end of it all, I believe that tabbing will just go 'underground'. They will still be available, you'll just have to know where to go for them. Pretty sad state of affairs really

7. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    has anyone archived the tabs sites? i'd like to get a copy & store them on my server for the good of us all....

8. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Guys, relax, there were plenty of musicians in the days before tabs. And to be honest, most were more talented than the ones we have today. If anything it'll create a survival of the fittest kind of scenario. I see this as a good thing for music as a whole.

9. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    +1, look at the average bass player in the 70's, and look at them now. Music theory is something everyone should know, and if you all revolve around tabs, people dont even read notes, let alone understand them. But that's just the jazz/classical side of me comin out. No offence ment.

10. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Yeah, this guy's better at explaining stuff than I am.

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Tab and tab alone is not good for development
    Used as another tool along with learning to read/learning theory I see no problem with it