1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Only fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by werdna1999, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. werdna1999

werdna1999

Apr 28, 2016
    Mainly a bedroom player/noodler. I'm a high school student and any money I don't save goes into funding my music hobby, so my funds are limited. Anyway, I've got a fretless G&L American semi hollow asat that is my main bass. Also have a jazz bass, more of a frankenbass that I'm really tempted to put a fretless neck on as well. This would leave me with no fretted bass, which could be a problem for playing in lowkey Classic Rock band that I have with some friends

So I guess my question is, do I really need a fretted bass? Anybody gone all fretless?

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ^^^ Didn't I look cool in high school?
    Stop!

Rabidhamster likes this.
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Just don't sell the fretted neck and put it on if you need it.

gebass6, Wisebass, werdna1999 and 2 others like this.
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Gotta have (at least) one of each..

IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0322.JPG

MattZilla, gebass6 and werdna1999 like this.
  5. John Conte

John Conte

Oct 3, 2012
    It's a good idea to keep the original fretted neck and get a spare fretless neck. Test it for awhile and decide which way you want to go.

6. The only bass I own that is fretted is my vintage early 70s jazz bass for fear of altering the mojo. Pretty much exclusively play fretless to the point where fretted bass is almost a foreign thing to me it feels weird. Also if you do go fretless only save your money and buy a super high end fretless it will blow your mind how much more awesome your playing will sound. With that said figure which route you want to go and don't regret the decision.

werdna1999 likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Werdna,

switching necks might be a good (for your budget!) solution for the moment,

as long as you are undecided whether to go fretless only or not.

than give your frankenfretless the chance to rock!:bassist:

I played in a classic 2 git, dr and bass rockshow having a fretless as my mainplayer, it worked!!!

There are a lot of bassplayers who did/do so: the late Jack Bruce and Pino are just two of them.

Rocking the house is not a fretted/ fretless question (IMHO)

keep on rocking

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

(still have my 73 fretted J which I kept for my Jazzband sideproject!):D

werdna1999 likes this.
  8. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    My preference is fretless. That said, there are gigs in which the bandleader would give me the stinkeye no matter how good my intonation. It's good business to keep at least one fretted in the stable.

gebass6 and Wisebass like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A fretless can sound like a fretted (All uprights are fretless). Only issue is people's perceptions.