1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Open box item sold as new

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dxb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I ordered a pedal from an online retailer that was listed as brand new, but arrived with the seal on the product box cut open. The pedal itself has a couple finger smudges on it but no wear and it seems to work okay. However there's a sticker on the bottom with a serial number that looks like it might've been peeled off and stuck down again. I'm not certain of that but it does look odd.

My question is, should I return it and ask for an unopened one or just keep it? On the one hand it functions, but on the other hand I like buying new pedals so I don't have to worry about getting one that's been kicked around, dropped or otherwise abused. I also know that a new pedal will have a full warranty.

2. This isn't the online retailer that claims they do XX point inspections, is it?

BrentSimons and dxb like this.
  3. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    You paid for a new item, it should be new. Open box items are usually sold at a discount. Contact them and ask for a discount. You can always give them the option; send it back for a new one (they pay shipping) or give you a discount.

BrentSimons, dxb and jbybj like this.
  4. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I don't think so. I bought it on Amazon and I think they also shipped it, but the seller was some music store I can't recall the name of.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Both you and Amazon have the record of sale, so warranty will not be an issue. Especially thru Amazon.:thumbsup:

-Frank

dxb likes this.
  6. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    I've had a few pedals that I've bought from an on line retailer here in the UK where the retailer also has a shop. It's been clear that the retailer has rummaged around the shop for the box and manuals and boxed up the display / demo model.
    It's irritating, but in life I try to not sweat the small stuff.
    Here in the UK you can buy a car that is considered new even though a car dealer has put a few thousand miles on it. The car log book says that the car has never been owned by someone...which means that no one yet who isn't in the car trade has owned it. I think some guitar shops think the same way. It's new (regardless of use and wear) until they sell it to a punter.

dxb likes this.
  7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Does the retailer allow free returns or is there a restock charge? It's unrealistic to expect to be able to return an item and get a full refund but also expect the dealer to sell the item you returned for a discount.

8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I had a new pedal arrive today. It was open. Inside the box were a couple stickers from the shop I bought it from and some holes in the bubble wrap where the input and output jacks are. I assume that they opened it and plugged it in to make sure it worked. Then tossed some stickers in and packed it back up. No biggie for me personally.

boomertech and Being and Bass like this.
  9. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Boooo.

If the pedal looks mint they likely have inspected it, especially opened it to check on battery. But for a "new" pedal they usually leave them in the box.

I would get an exchange personally. Like you, when I buy new I like new.

10. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    I can see many small shops checking the pedal before shipment. Replacing a DOA pedal can really eat into any profit that the shop made with shipping costs, so checking it before shipment minimizes a DOA and potentially bad reviews on the shop.

-Frank

willsellout and Grahams Groove like this.