1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Open source router templates?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CarbonTom, Nov 4, 2013.

1. CarbonTom

CarbonTom

Aug 23, 2013
    Hey Guys,

After a couple of searches, I was wondering if there is somewhere that I could find some open source router templates for standard shapes, like J bass bodies, neck pockets, different types of pickups etc. I have a CNC machine that I own with my room mate and my programming is kinda meh. I was wondering if there are any Solidworks or CAD files that are easy to access?

Yes I know that since I have a CNC I could use it to just cut the bass out as a whole once I have it, but I am taking baby steps and looking to wet my beak with some templates for my hand router. Any info would be great! Thanks

2. Hi.

Just learn to write the code, it's not that hard.
    Especially when dealing with 2D (or 2 1/2D) as You do with simple instrument routings.

Or use some CAD/CAM program to convert Your .dxf files onto code.

BUT, You still have to be able to read and understand the code in order to check and fine tune it, so again, just learn to write the code.

Regards
    Sam

3. Do some searching for plans in PDF format. Many CAD programs will let you import vector PDFs, then you can size them and get your CAM on.

Or, you know, design your own.

4. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    You could get PDF plans online, and then give it to someone for laser cutting out of plexiglass. In your place, I would be glad and lucky to spend the time learning how to make guitars on the CNC.