1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions for live set up..GK2x12?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by rage941, Aug 11, 2012.

1. rage941

rage941

Sep 11, 2011
    I've been struggling with getting a good live set up. I've had an SVT 4 Pro with an HLF 4x10 cab, a fender rumble 100 combo, an 80s peavey head, a carvin 2x10, unknown 1x18, eden wt550, and markbass lmiii.

It's a pain lugging it all around and it's more tricky with mismatched things than with a combo (ie blowing a cab easily by overpowering it). I really want to downsize to a combo because it will be much more portable and everything was made to work together and it would just be more simple all around. I've just been afraid because we have a very loud guitarist and a very loud drummer. I've been experimenting with the rumble 100 lately and it was almost cranked all the way in a fairly small place and I couldn't hear myself too well. BUT the GK is known for being loud, its got 2 12" speakers and a lot more wattage than the rumble so I was thinking maybe that would be able to hold it's own. But as a back up maybe I could get an Eden WTDI then if I do ever run short on volume I could use my amp as a monitor and then run direct to make up for it? Do you guys see any issues with that? I would just hate myself if I came up short one gig and needed a stack. This plan seems like it would work to me, but I figure if it would, why isn't everyone doing it? Why have a stack at all? I would need to sell my current gear to get the GK combo and wtdi, so it would suck to do that and then regret it and have to build a stack again, so give me some input!
    Another thing is I love Eden tone so I could use it to get the sound I want through the GK.

2. Please clarify the question

3. So you want to downsize your rig but still be able to have enough volume and you're asking if that GK combo and a wtdi would work? I think that's what I got from it, I wouldn't be surprised if I miss understood anything though.

4. +1, I'm a little confused too. I'll take a shot though...

Sounds like you've already found out that the Rumble 100 won't cut it with a "very loud guitarist and very loud drummer" and you're asking if the GK 2x12 will? Depends on just HOW loud they are and the rehearsal space. I've used my Shuttle 6 > Avatar B212 in a group with two guitars, keys/vocals, vocalist/acoustic guitar and drums and it worked great, but we were always able to keep our volume in check. I've never played the GK MB212, but 350w into two 12's will be better than 100w into a 15 by a long shot, and it has an XLR out so you could go out to a board without having to have the WTDI. I don't know how hard you can push the new GK combos though, only tried them in a shop situation.

I've been impressed with the new GK stuff, from the couple combos I've played (the 2x10 and 1x15). Seems like they've spent some time in R&D and are putting out some nice equipment lately (the Fusion 550/neo 4x12 cab setup is orgasmic, but that's another subject ;)).

Are you near a store that has a return policy? If you're close to a Guitar Center (for example), pick one up, try it out and if it doesn't work, take it back.

5sg.

5. Sounds like you have mismated gear

6. rage941

rage941

Sep 11, 2011
    That's what I'm asking. From the reviews, the combo is loud enough for anything you would not ordinarily have PA support, and then when you would need PA support, it has an XLR out so why would anyone want to carry around a heavy/expensive half stack? Is it just not trusting the sound guy and wanting a half/full stack to take care of it all on your own? I guess I just want to see if I'm missing something as to why this combo wouldn't be sufficient for everything.

Also instead of the 2x12 I could get the 2x10 which has a speakon out and then get a matching 1x15 to bring when needed. But then I feel like I would always bring the 15 with me and defeat the purpose of downsizing.
    Oops, you're right; I was getting it confused with it not having a speaker out. Oh well I'd probably get the Eden WTDI regardless since I love the tone.

7. The 212 = 500 watts +no extension
    210 = 350 + extension

The new revision will accept powered cabinets

8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO

This!
    If you are going to get a GK combo get one of the series II models that has the ability to add a powered cabinet!

9. They will convert the former to accept powered cabs

10. Whoops... misread the chart on the GK website. MNAirHead's correct. Sorry about that. :meh:

5sg.