1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on strings for an Ibanez AEB10e

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EccentRick, Mar 20, 2009.

1. EccentRick

EccentRick

Mar 20, 2009
    I am just getting back into playing bass after a long hiatus, and I am getting an Ibanez AEB10E acoustic purely to practice out on the patio (translation: "anywhere the wife won't get pissed off at me"), and maybe to jam with my daughter, who is just starting learning guitar. I don't see performing with it (I would get an electric if I did) beyond jamming, though being able to plug in and get a good sound would be nice.

Any recommendations for good roundwounds for it? How about flats? Anyone tried Thomastik Jazz Flats with it?

And why are acoustic bass strings phosphor? Is it purely aesthetic, or do piezo pickups need it?

Thanks for any insights.

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have the same bass, but I don't really like it and it will be gone soon. One reason, is the LaBella tape wounds I put on there-just alittle too dull-and I play only flatwounds on my solid body basses. I liked the bronze, trebley strings that came with it better. (And I don't like treble) I will probably put them back on soon or try some Roto flats I have.

3. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    The flats normally do not produce the volume of rounds. I am playing tapewounds on my ABG and love the feel and sound. But I play my ABG amplified more than acoustically. The TI flats get good reviews I am about to get a set for my Dean Pace.

If you looking for volume you might try some of the rounds for acoustics.

4. I'm about to pick one of these up and I'm also wodering about the strings.
    I want to try this bass out in my latin jazz quartet for some of out restaurant gigs where volume is a factor. I would want strings that would work with the pickup and that have a punchy dark sound and not a whole lot of sustain. I'm probably going to put foam under the strings to get a sound that is a little like an Ampeg Baby Bass(I'm hoping)
    So maybe tapewound strings might be what I would want? I've never tried them.