1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange 410 Cab for Ampeg 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TMFoodBass, Oct 3, 2013.

1. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Adamstown, PA
    None
    So, I have the possible opportunity to trade my ampeg SVT-610hlf cab for an orange OBC410. I think that the value in the swap is even, but I am curious about the tonal differences in the orange cab as compared to the Ampeg. I'm not sure about my Ampeg SVT-3pro head in combination with the orange. It's a craigslist deal, so I'm not really in a great place to test it out beforehand.

Can anybody give me some insight here?

2. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I've gone from my OBC410 to a 610hlf for a gig. I feel that the 610hlf went a little louder, but I preferred my orange more. I also felt like the obc410 has a more solid sound. Neither cabs are hifi cabs and both are awesome for rock, but they don't sound alike. The ampeg is a little darker, but goes a bit lower. The orange is a little more focused in the low mids than the ampeg. The ampeg will definitely be more efficient.

If you intend to stick with your 3-pro, I really would recommend that you stay with the ampeg. If you plan to upgrade in the nearish future, I would take the deal. That 3-pro is not a very good amp when run at 8 ohms. Keep in mind that the orange weighs close to 100 lb and doesn't have tiltback casters, so it is not the easiest cab to move around without a dolly or outside help. The orange is a seriously great cab though (best 410 I've played IMO, IME, etc).

3. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Adamstown, PA
    None
    Wow. Thanks for the info.

I guess that I'll stick with the 610, or maybe downsize to an SVT-410hlf since that's where this whole saga started anyway.

4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Don't get me wrong, if you were looking to upgrade your head, I would always takle the orange over the ampeg. Since it doesn't sound like you are, I would just stick with either the 610hlf or 410hlf. I really do prefer the tone of the obc410 (so damn solid sounding and the loudest 410 I've experienced). When I went from an svt-3pro to a Mesa 400+, I really fell in love with the OBC410, just gobs of loud solid tone!

5. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    IMO, the Ampeg 610 ported was one of the worst cabs I've dealt with (I'm not biased to Orange, although I do play on an Orange rig). In my experience, that Ampeg cab farts out way too easy, boomy, and a beast to lug around.

To be honest, I would almost trade it for anything Avatar to Orange.

6. mancefine

mancefine

Jul 7, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I traded my ampeg 810 for the OBC 410, got the OBC 115 and then sold my SVT classic for the Terrorbass 1000. Never been happier. Orange is overall better IMO. I play both active and passive basses and play heavy rock to funk, and I can dial in anything on 5 knobs with the Orange.
    orangE GOOD.JPG