1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orchestra Parts Koussevitzky Concerto

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by wiz0floyd, Mar 28, 2009.

1. wiz0floyd

wiz0floyd

Sep 11, 2008
    Oakton, VA
    I've been searching the internet for about an hour now, trying to find out where I can rent the Orchestra Parts for the Koussevitzky Concerto.

I'm going to perform it with my High School Orchestra, and I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction.

2. Yeah, exact same case here, i cannot find it for the life of me..and i'm looking for the E minor version, not the F#

3. I'm curious to hear whether either of you found a source for the rental parts. I have never heard of an orchestral tuning version for the actual orchestra parts (that sounds contradictory, doesn't it?)--although I'd be interested to know about it if it exists.

One of the best sources for rentals is:
    http://www.lucksmusic.net/cat-symph/rental.asp

But please do post if you find another source (and find out what the price is!)

-Jeremy

4. wiz0floyd

wiz0floyd

Sep 11, 2008
    Oakton, VA
    I found it on Boosey and Hawkes. My school was able to get it for $209, I don't know how much it would be otherwise.

Since I have a thread already, does anyone have a good way to end the first movement? I'm not playing the second movement and my teacher doesn't like the unresolved 7th chords. I want to do some sort of authentic cadence, but I'm not sure what key I'm in, since transposing isn't one of my strengths.

@mcintyre, I don't think there's an e version of the orchestra parts. If you play it with orchestra you will probably need to put solo strings on your bass.

5. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    or just tune up normal strings a whole step? thats what i do and works fine...just be sure to loosen your strings back up to normal tuning after your done to let down the tension to normal tuning once your done.

6. wiz0floyd

wiz0floyd

Sep 11, 2008
    Oakton, VA
    I recommend against that for two reasons. The first being the possible damage it could do to your bass. The strings were designed with a certain tension in mind, adding that much more has the potential to be very bad. Secondly, they will feel weird under both hands, and sound worse than solo-strings as the higher tension prevents them from vibrating as freely.

If you're going to be playing a lot of solos, I recommend that you invest in a set of your own. If not, then see if you could borrow a set from someone.

7. Hey Jeremy,
    It was great to see you last week! I am playing the Koussevitzky next month with an orchestra and they were asking me about purchasing the Ludwin edition. KOUSSEVITZKY Concerto Op. 3 (Full Orchestra)

I am familiar with Lucks but have never heard of Ludwin nor knew existed. Do you or anyone else happen to know this edition?

Thanks.

8. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Norm Ludwin is a bassist/arranger/teacher out here in California. He does nice editions. I'm sure he'd answer any questions about the differences between his and the existing printings.

9. @wiz0floyd,

I played the first mvt in a recital last fall, and my accompanist improvised a terrific ending centered in E major. If you are interested, I can mail you a CD of the performance so you can hear the ending.