Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orlando instructors

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Walking Carpet, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I was wondering if anyone could recommend an instructor in the Orlando area? I cannot afford weekly lessons, but as a beginner, I would like to turn to a pro before I pick up some of the proverbial "bad habits".

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

2. I take beginners/intermediates, but I'm in Lakeland. What part of Otown are you in?

3. I'm in east Orlando, somewhat close to where 417 and 408 come together, so that would be a bit of a hike.

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    If you want to get serious... Dave LaRue. Hands down. Call Bass Central and find out when he has a space in his schedule.

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Absolutely! I studied with Dave in the late '80s when he lived here in Joisey. It was total boot camp, and worth every minute and every dime.

6. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    +1 on Dave at Bass Central. Dave is a great guy and a patient dude - puts up with me every couple of weeks - enough said.

7. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Another +1 for Dave LaRue. You're very fortunate to live 25 minutes away from Bass Central. Call and see if he has any openings. Dave's more expensive, but he's a world class player and instructor. Your playing will advance light years faster than doing it on your own.

I studied with him for about a year and a half. He is very patient, yet thorough. Don't waste his time if you are not serious about practicing.

Good luck

8. Thank you all for your replies! I've been wanting to head to Bass Central anyway, but I kind of feel like like I would be like a six year old kid who can't even ride a bike going to a Porsche dealership.

Of course if I was going there to study...:hyper:

I really am serious about learning, unfortunately, I don't have a very large budget for this right now. I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a call (and an excuse to go to Bass Central, well...:D ). Of course, if he does have an opening and is willing to work with me for a few sessions, CRAP! I'll be forced to try to explain a change in the budget with my wife!

9. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Here is how it works...

You start playing SMB and Dixie Dregs around the house. All the time. Constantly...

You talk about how good Dave is... constantly.

You slip in a couple of times what a dream it would be to study with someone like that. What it would mean to you.

One day, you pick up a Bass Player mag and you holler across the house... "LOOK AT THIS..."

Then explain how that guy you are ALWAYS talking about owns a store RIGHT HERE IN TOWN. And he TEACHES THERE.

She will BEG you to go fulfill your dream...

10. Great advice Orlfl! Your reply came so fast, I somehow get the feeling that you might have had that strategy on file already.

Maybe if that doesn't work I can convince her that by truly learning the instrument well from someone of this caliber, I can be out gigging myself before we know it, and I can actually MAKE us (see how I threw the "us" in there?) money. Of course, I'll have to get something better that my Peavy cheap bass... and a real amp... and cabinet...

Maybe I should leave that last part off.

11. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    Yet another +1 for Dave Larue. I took lessons for 2 years here in NJ when I was in high school. I was a beginner as well back then. If you're that close, you gotta go. He'll have you doing his "spider exercises" at warp speed in no time!

12. I live less than mile away from Bass Central, and would love to get lessons from him, but I think they will frown at the little plastic triangle in my right hand...:(

13. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Don't worry about that. For one thing, Dave is not like that (although he may make suggestions) and for another, THEY (meaning BC itself) want you as a customer and would not care it you played with a rolled up slice of ham.

Come to think of it... yeah Dave may comment on the pick. But it would not be to look down on you. It would be to make you a better player. You cannot live that close to BC and not take the oppotrunity to get at least a few lessons with Dave.

That would be even dumber than using a pick... :)

14. Thanks.

I may take you up on that....I played fingerstyle for over seven years before I even touched a pick, but I found my style with it, and have no intention of playing without one, especially on my Ric.

The problem is that I've had instructors look down upon it....I think it should be my choice, and wish they could focus on something else than that...or even perhaps teaching good picking technique?

Which is the reason I am mostly self-taught, and turn to webites like Carol Kaye's, and books instead...

I'm just sick of hearing instructors tell me how using a pick is so limiting, and how I'd be better off using my fingers...

..and yes, the guys at Bass Central are really cool, BTW:)

15. As a follow-up to my last post:
    I decided to take a lesson from Bass Central(from Mike for now, Dave LaRue is on tour as of late March), and I am not sure what to ask of them...

..I'm hoping to improve my way around the fretboard, not change my right hand picking technique(maybe improve it though)..

....but I just read on Carol Kaye's website that Dave actually uses her methods, so that kinda got me excited, as she is well-known for her pick playing..I know this seems rather un-important, esp. for some fingerstyle players, but it makes a difference to me..

I think the reason why I want to take lessons is because the guys I play with are really good, and I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up with their time changes, and just following them musically.....after coming from a band that always played in 4/4 with simple progressions, and now I am a bit frustrated with my playing..

...after reading about the guys at Bass Central on here, and from personal experience, I thought it might be a good idea to take lessons from them; I just don't know what to ask from them, and any input would be appreciated:)

16. I'm glad that somebody else also can benefit from this subject!:D

These past couple weeks have actually turned a lot more hectic for me than I originally thought (just got a new puppy!), so I have not had a chance to act on this myself yet.

Faith, how do the guys at Bass Central handle lessons? Do they have a fairly available schedule? I know I should just go there myself and see it (oh the sacrifice!), but was just curious what I will be in for when I go.

Thanks!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Does Beaver Felton still teach at BC? Beaver's another good guy to take lessons from. He's a little more trick oriented than Dave, but no less talented and no less of a teacher.

18. I don't think Beaver has time to teach, but I know he is a great bassist..

That being said, I actually had my first lesson with Mike Amico, and he's great!

I was suprised that he actually had material pre-arranged before I even got there - in the few lessons that I've had, no teachers have ever done that to the degree he did( I got music to learn, and exercises that concentrate on both hands technique)

...and he actually didn't try to sway me away from using the pick.... but did urge me to use my fingers also - he said it will help my picking technique??:p

I'm trying to go through some of his left-hand drills right now, and finding out how bad I really suck!:rolleyes:

I think I found my instructor!:D

19. orlfl,

Your post on this thread to me gave me that "push" to go there and finally do it..

I have been playing with a group of musicians that are more advanced than people I've played with in the past, and I have started to feel the need to get better.

I'm learning that "my" old way of "practicing" has a couple of loopholes, as I usually just make up melodies or riffs, and just keep playing them over and over until the next part comes to me(this can take hours:D ), without really concentrating too much on the "work" part...and thus, not really improving as fast as I could be..:oops:

Thanks!:)