1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orville EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockdude4492, Apr 10, 2014.

1. rockdude4492

rockdude4492

Apr 3, 2014
    MA, USA
    Anyone here have any experience with the Orville EB-3? I know the Orville's are pretty highly regarded, and I've always loved the look of the EB-3/SG Bass. Any info or shared experiences would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Orville would be equivalent to a Gibson since they are Gibson Japan.
    If you did a "head-to-head" of the Gibson vs the Orville, the Orville would be a better bass because quality control matters in Japan.
    If you get one, it is a BASS bass..... mids and highs will be way back unless you do mods and/or extreme EQ.

I've owned about 4 or 5 Orvilles(Thunderbirds). My Gibson T-Bird got sold after I got an Orville.

3. rockdude4492

rockdude4492

Apr 3, 2014
    MA, USA
    That is the impression I've had, and I assumed it would be on-par or better than a Gibson because of the QC, so that is good to hear. Have you ever played one? There is also Japanese Epiphones out there (Elite and Domestic), which I imagine would be on-par with the Orville, yes?

I am looking for something with more bottom end, as I've been playing a Jazz Bass, which is fine, but it seems thin-sounding to me and I've been looking for something with more bottom, which I believe the EB-3 will provide me. Plus I love what Jack Bruce and Glenn Cornick did with their Gibson EB-3's