Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ouchy...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Selta, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, here's the story... excatly 19 hours ago, I got a 30 song set list to learn, for tomorrow night. I can play most of the songs, it's all classic rock/blues stuff - the songs everyone knows off the top of their heads. Walking and rock lines, nothin' to difficult. I am having troubles though, as I was told that wasn't the complete set list, AND I also seem to confused some songs with other ones... Now, I was just curious if anyone out there had a tried-and-true method of engraving this many songs into one's head so they don't screw up, as well as and methods to help me be able to just pick up the other songs and groove right away (I know, heavy theory and such...). I guess there's some originals, and some other covers that they said I probably wouldn't know so well. They told me they don't have lead or chord charts available, and I should just flow with it... but if I do that, I'll be out of key pretty badly (my ears are currently clogged up, and I'm not hearing that well) :meh: things aren't looking so great, but it's for a friends band who I have a good shot at playing semi-permanently with, so I need this to go as well as possible. Any hints/suggestions/flaming you can give me?

-Ray

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I sub with different bands all the time. I'm in the process of learning a 45 song set list right now for a sub gig on the beach this coming Wednesday night.

Get the set list and keys in advance. Download the tunes to CD. Live with these songs - listen to them constantly. Talk to the guitar player if you can about any unusual cuts/changes. Learn the signature lines of each tune, but other than that, if you have limited time, focus on the song structure, the pocket and the groove and don't worry about the flashy stuff. If you know theory, you can step out a little when its' called for.

I have a Tascam BTB that I use. I couldn't get it done without this tool! I put in a couple of hours each evening prior to the gig just reviewing the material and getting the song structures under my fingers and into my head.

I never use charts on rock sub gigs at the gig itself. I think that it takes away from the performance, and is a crutch that breaks my concentration. I keep my ears open, listen to the kick drum, and watch both the singer and the guitarist for cues. Get to the gig early, and ask questions on stuff your not sure of. Pros will be willing to help, as they want their gig to go as well as it can.

A few other tips: Don't drink or do other substances. You are a guest of the band. Consider it a paid audition. Be professional. No matter how the gig goes, thank them at the end of the night and let them know how much you appreciated the chance to play with them. Don't ever act like you bailed them out, or that you saved them. You didn't. You are a professional who just did the job that was at hand.

The key is to have fun, and to sell the performance to the audience. Groove and dance. Smile. Bounce. You are doing your job right if there are asses moving on the floor. Sub gigs are a blast, and a great way to fill out your calendar and to expand your circle. I get calls a lot, and I am very grateful for the chance to expand myself, work out of my comfort zone, and get paid to do something that I would pay money to do!

Go get em. I have to practice for my gig now!

3. Well said Commreman, +1. Especially the part about living with the songs, when the time comes it will help you "hear" what to play.

John

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As soon as I got the songs, I burnt them to CD, and everywhere I've gone I took them in the car and my portable player and listened to them pratically non-stop. I've just never been put under such a crunch like this before. I've done 40 song lists in a week, but not 30 in less than two days.
    Again, thanks for the input... hope I do well, I need this!

-Ray

5. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Play the whole show a little reserved. Don't fill the room on the songs that you know, then pull back when you are lost. The other musicians will be able to adequately entertain with a soft bassist. Any errors that you make won't be as noticeable when they aren't chest thumping.

Put your confident smile face on and leave it there. It's not life or death. Have fun!

6. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ray -

So how did it go? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ed

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Heh, I wasn't sure if anyone gave a damn or not :p.
    The entire gig went very well. We were originally slated to play from 8-10, but the other band never showed up, so we played from 8-12. I only knew the first two hours of the list, but everyone in the band said I played the 2nd set just as well as the first, if not better. At one point my guitarist wanted a drink, so the drummer and I took over for maybe 10 minutes... sadly, that's when the dance floor was the most packed. All night Chris (the drummer) and I were locked in very tight... he seemed to be a very professional drummer - perfect time, nice fills, nice lead-ins, etc. etc. He complimented the tone I had all night... said it's the best he's heard in the years he's been playing. The soundman also said my tone was "the tone of the Heaven's above, and when you dig in, the hells below!". I had some dude come up and ask me for my autograph... I gave it to him, but he better not expect it to ever be worth anything :p.
    At the end of the gig, they asked if I would be interested in playing with them full time... I explained my school situation to them, and they said that was fine, we'd work around it, and they'd have me for summer gigs. They gave me compliments on how professional I acted, how well I was able to play on short notice, they liked my tone/versatility and that they were able to play their best with me in their rythm section.
    All in all it was great, and I had a blast. Thanks for all of your input here, and I have to thank Gard who put up with me IMing him like crazy with concerns I had also. Here's to more gigs!

-Ray

8. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    That's great! I'm happy that it went well for you. I've been asked for autographs at sub gigs as well. Last summer I signed a photo/poster of a band I subbed with right over the bassists head on the photo. I told the guy I was a sub and he didn't seem to care...........

As far as joining the band, if you liked how it went and the professionalism of the band as well as the groove of the drummer, then by all means grab the gig! There are a lot worse things you can do this summer than play gigs in Daytona Beach! Yowsa!

Weather permitting, I'm doing a sub gig Wednesday night on the beach at Sandy Hook here in good ol' New Jersey USA. The band is an 8 piece R&B/blue eyed soul/rock & roll band, so it should be a blast. All of the guys are accomplished players, and it is a VERY high energy gig. The great thing about this one is that my wife and kids get to go as well, and they get all charged up seeing me play with a different bunch of guys. This particular gig always keeps the guys in my primary band on thier toes, as I've been offered the position here a few times already, but I'm being loyal to my guys.

Keep up the good work!

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, just to calrify, I'm back home for the summer, in Johnstown PA. That's why there's a problem with school :D. But, they said they'll keep me for summer gigs, so I'm doing that. Thanks,

-Ray

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Johnstown's a cool place. I'm doing a gig up at a club that way next month called Westmont Gardens. They have killer in-house sound there.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey man, either post or PM me with info as to the day and time and I'll be there. That's about 25-30 mins from my house, but I'll be sure to go :D.

-Ray

12. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    You got good advice there. Good job Ray, you done us proud!:bassist:

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Get the material, find out what key the band plays the material in and then create charts, you should do fine

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Pffffft, who uses charts? I did make a cheat sheet, but I couldn't find it once I got to the gig... didn't need it anyway! No sweat :smug:.

-Ray

15. Isn't that always the case? And you don't start looking for it until about 15 mins before showtime! I think it flows better without charts IF you have a pretty good memory. I sometimes have problems with that first note, once I know that the rest seems to flow. They'll call out song "x" and my mind says :eek: I've learned that Sharpies & LARGE writing are your friend. Stage is always a little darker than you thought it would be just when you need the light. :oops: