Outkast!!! *Haaay Yaaaa!!!*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Outkast's video for Hey Ya is one of my favorite music video's. Cool song, hilariouis video concept, all around great video.

My question: Can Outkast really play all of the instruments he does in the video? He is the entire band, singing lead, three of him singing backup, playing acoustic guitar, keyboards, drumset, and a beautiful Ric! It looks as if he is playing all of the instruments and doing all of the parts. I know that it could be fancy computer trickery, but it seems real. Can he really do all that? If he can, that's totally awesome!
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    outkast is god. that is all you need to know.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Its a pretty good song too. Outcast is a pretty cool guy.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know that Andre3000 does play guitar. He does so competently on a duet with Norah Jones on the new CD. I love Andre's disc on the double CD. Not as into Big Boi's but Andre's is great.

brad cook
  5. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    normally i cant dig modern rap, too little talent, too much production. But these guys are the exceptions, I can really dig this stuff.
  6. Outkast is not "him".. Outkast is a duet.. and as far as I know, not only they gig but they record with other musicians.. I don't know much and haven't listened to too much outkast's stuff. but I dig them.
  7. Personally,I hate them/him/it
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Benjamin Andre, AKA Andre 3000 is a pretty decent guitarist for a rapper. Actually, he's a pretty good singer and songwriter and straight up genius. He plays most rhythm guitar on the CD. As you may be able to figure out, the song is only 4 chords, so when he is playing the bass, he's hitting the "G...C...C...D...E" without any problem.
    He's playing the drums in the video as well, which isn't something one can fake, but on the CD they are a beat machine. The bass is real, but a guy named Aaron Willis is playing bass (I think... and no, not P-Nut, Aaron Wills).

As for Outkast as a whole, they aren't your run-of-the-mill rappers with the whole "bling bling" persona. They are talented guys who make some awesome original music. This CD is a dual disc, each guy taking one CD.
    Big Boi's CD isn't quite as phenomenal or eclectic as Andre's, but it's a good CD. Check out the track called "Church" for some crazy bass action... bass playing, by the way, not just boom. And "Bowtie" for some groovy shizzle.
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You know them personally?

I'm not a big rap fan, but I do like that song.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's Andre Benjamin actually. Benjamin Andre is one of his made up personas. And the bassist is Aaron Mills.

Check out track 17 on Andre's disc for some seriously smokin' jazz piano soloing.

brad cook
  11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks, I knew it was something like that.
  12. I can't believe nobody commented on their clothing!! I SOOO wish I had the clothing resources they have.... Some of the freakiest stuff ever.

I also was impressed that he was actually playing drums on the video, as well as guitar and bass.
  13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's why I really like them :)
  14. Andre is a warwick owner, not in the video but on the warwick famous users he is in it. It is a pretty good song. Big big big step up from I'm sorry ms. jackson. Andre does mess around with a lot of instuments.
  15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    outkast vs rage against the machine - bombs over baghdad

thats an AMAZING tune.
  16. I bought Outkast's "stankonia" album because of that version of B.O.B.
    -only to find that the album version didn't have guitars and was pretty dire.
    sold the album a few months later- listened to it 2 or 3 times only- mostly the usual rap bragging.
  17. Isn't it all?:)
  18. -not for De La Soul, Ugly Duckling ("a little samba" parodied stereotypical rap bragging), Tribe called Quest.

I don't really like the Outkast guys' voices either.
  19. are they still doing songs like "We Luv Deez Hoez" from their Stankonia album?
  20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'm not too big into rap/hip hop, but I've always liked Outkast. "So Fresh S o Clean" is one of my favorites. Just something about the groove.