Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overdrive Dilema

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Nov 8, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hmmmm here's a possible interesting dilema for you.

Currently I'm running overdrive all the time, just a slight bit of grit just to get a more tube amp vibe, now there are parts of songs where I want more gain and kick into what most people have there overdrive pedals set at.

The pedals I've tried and used so far effect my tone to much and its either muddy or way to harsh. So since I love my current od that I have on all the time I thought about ways to get that to give me more gain.

Tecx suggested if I put a boost pedal before my od, I could get lots more gain and the od unit would also cap the volume so I don't get any massive jumps when clicking the boost on. Do you guys agree with this or think its a good idea and what boosts would you recommend?

I'm looking at MXR Micro Amp, Monkey FX Badger Boost, Seymour Duncan Pick Up booster, Fulltone Fat Boost (Think this is to pricey for me though).

Or I could just get another one of the od's I'm using and have that set differently, it only costs abit more than the boost pedal I would be buying, or any other recommendations of decent low gain, no mid hump, lots of bass od pedals.

I think I'm finally gonna cave and get my self an xxl bass to replace my harsh nasty punk tone od that I click in for those those moments when you need to cut like a chainsaw

Cheers

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think so. If you're just using it for slight overdrive, it wouldn't cap the volume like that - that only works for heavier clipping, I'd think.

Joe

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I think the progarmmable SABDDI would be perfect for both applications: the "always on" slight OD and awith a different programmed setting for the "real OD.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    But I'd have to have eq running, which I already do and the sansamp doesn't have a mid control, yeah I know you can get mids out of it blah blah blah but I'd rather have a mid control :D

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'll build you a MXR MicroAmp clone if you want? I mean I've seen people charging like £80 or more just for a bloody MXR clean boost. Talk to me on MSN.

6. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    build yourself a booster of the booster section of basstyra's potentia, 'ive installed one into my guv'nor to have both gain boost when od and volume boost when slapping, it's freaking great and has like approx 10£ of parts in it, really try or have someone building you one, I'm 100% sure it will fit your needs,

7. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    is it to drive your barber?

8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    What about something like a 3rd Hand to just tweak the level or gain of your current pedal?

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, is THAT cool!

Joe

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    he was talking non expensive solutions lol
    for that price you can get a micro amp, or two

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A or B switch for two drive pedals?

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Another boost worth considering might be the Catalinbread boost which is tailored for bass.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah Xan that boost will be first on my list if the boost I'm bidding on, on ebay falls through.

I don't think I want a clean boost just something that imparts a nice tone on the signal like the Fulltone Fat Boost, or the Catalinbread and maybe one of thse new xotic bass boost or preamp pedals. Since my local pedal shop has them in stock apparently

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Steve - just a thought here. I'm gonna call the London Pedal Company this afternoon - is there any specific questions you want me to ask them?

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ask them what boosts they've got and how much if you don't mind my good man.

16. Just for the record, I've got an mxr microamp and i LOVE it, built like an, umm, well, like an mxr! colors your sound just a tiny, TINY bit, and in a very nice way at that. Does what it's supposed to and won't conk out. I got mine, predunlop, for $25! that shouldn't break even a piggybank. Anyone wondering about this pedal should at least try it out! too bad this post is a little aged and no one will ever read this... :smug:

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Have you checked out a Toadworks Meat? This one looks pretty badass and is reasonably priced.

18. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    ebs multidrive is a great pedal for adding extra dirt when needed.

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I might have a chance to try the toadworks soon. But I did get a DOD FX10 Bi-Fet which is the cleanest boost I've heard it could do with a loooper on it though I feel but maybe thats just my imagination. So yeah super clean, super cheap and very well built except for the battery door on the back but that is on of those things you just have to live with if you want a DOD pedal.

So I use the boost before my overdrive and it just kicks it up a bit makes it more grainy and raw but doesn't give you a boost in volume so that's really good.

I highly recommend this boost I also use it to match the gain between my pedulla and valenti's

20. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet. It sounds like you have a nice system going for you. If you test drive a Meat, would you let us know how you like it? I've been eyeballing one but I can't find a tangible one to try out. Thanks.