Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p- bass switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by machoufski, Jan 17, 2006.

1. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    hi,

is it possible to wire a p-bass so i can choose between serie-humcancelling and serie- non humcancelling.
    so i can get a single coil sound like a p-51 pup or a jazz -pup?

(i don't mean wiring serie/parallel like the s1 switch)

2. I don't know if this will work...

the two coils are counter wound and you may have a phasing issue...

you could try it out...just wire the second coil in series but with reverse polarity...I have no idea what it will sound like...somehow I doubt it will sound like a '51 P or a Jazz neck pup.

3. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    ok thx
    ill give it a try

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

are you talking about try to get the same tone from a split P as one of those inline Tele-looking P's?

You could rewire a split P to be non-humcanceling. If it's anything like doing the same to a split J (ala model J), the primary difference I recalled was noise. It's may brighten it up some and add some rawness but those broad flat coils of a split P put out a pretty unique tone.

5. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    yes thats the sound i want in addition to the stock p-pup. i noticed that the inline pup on the telecaster (sting) precision is placed further up the body closer to the neck. so i'm not going to alter the stock p-pup. but add another pup. (its an cheap richwood p-copie. so no fear for loosing value here) :)

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Frankly I'd throw a J in the bridge position.

7. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    one at a time. :)