1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p- bass switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by machoufski, Jan 17, 2006.

1. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    hi,

is it possible to wire a p-bass so i can choose between serie-humcancelling and serie- non humcancelling.
    so i can get a single coil sound like a p-51 pup or a jazz -pup?

(i don't mean wiring serie/parallel like the s1 switch)

2. I don't know if this will work...

the two coils are counter wound and you may have a phasing issue...

you could try it out...just wire the second coil in series but with reverse polarity...I have no idea what it will sound like...somehow I doubt it will sound like a '51 P or a Jazz neck pup.

3. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    ok thx
    ill give it a try

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

are you talking about try to get the same tone from a split P as one of those inline Tele-looking P's?

You could rewire a split P to be non-humcanceling. If it's anything like doing the same to a split J (ala model J), the primary difference I recalled was noise. It's may brighten it up some and add some rawness but those broad flat coils of a split P put out a pretty unique tone.

5. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    yes thats the sound i want in addition to the stock p-pup. i noticed that the inline pup on the telecaster (sting) precision is placed further up the body closer to the neck. so i'm not going to alter the stock p-pup. but add another pup. (its an cheap richwood p-copie. so no fear for loosing value here) :)

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Frankly I'd throw a J in the bridge position.

7. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    one at a time. :)