1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicman666, Mar 3, 2013.

1. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    What is it that makes a P Bass sit in the mix so freaking well!
    Discuss!

2. them low mids

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Unlike a bass with an active electronics setup, a P doesn't produce a signal that has a lot of extreme highs and lows that are artificially added. The typical P tone doesn't grab a lot of sonic real estate and step on the frequencies of other instruments in the ensemble. It just sits in the sonic range it's supposed to.

4. Truer words were never spoken. The P does what it is supposed to and does it well.

5. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green?

6. & where is Lorne Greene?:what:

7. Dunno, but we trialled 4 worship ministers for my church on saturday. Each worship minister candidate complimented me on my bass playing. I didn't think our sound system was that good that they could all hear!

But I was playing a 60's P.

Davo

8. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    note bloom

9. I don't believe it has to be passive, I have a active fender and it sits in the mix extremely well also.
    I believe pick up and pick up placement has more to do with it than electronics.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah but once in a while we gotta tell a keyboard player to; "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    She might not be the Belle of the ball but she can can cut a rug all night long :smug:

12. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    Exactly! That's what I want to know. First he's riding around on the Ponderosa, the he's leading the last major Colonial fighter carrier leads a makeshift fleet of human refugees on a desperate search for the legendary planet Earth.

I'm looking for liner notes but can't find what kind of bass was used when he recorded 'Ringo' but I'll bet it was a 'P'.

13. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Perfectly put good sir.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think what makes it work is that it's got one pickup so you don't screw around with phasing, and its placement was absolute genius, because that's where the good mids are. I also think the way notes don't lose their bottom end up the neck and the moderate sustain levels also contribute to its badassery. And it responds really well to EQ and will do just about anything you need. Having said that, most of my P's also have J's on them, and I like that tone as well, but for me it's more for when I need a less aggressive sound. The Precision is aggression covered in chocolate syrup. 90% of the time that's how I roll when I use a Fender, which is all the time these days.