1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J custom shop ideas...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keoliphant, Sep 28, 2013.

1. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'm very interested in who's purchased a custom p/j bass recently. I'd love to hear if you're happy with your purchase. Alder/ash body? Rosewood/maple neck? Active/passive? Pickup brand? I'm currently considering a Lull, Norstrand, or Fbass.

No offense intended but I'm not interested in < $2k price range. I've been very pleased with previous boutique bass purchases when compared to a mass produced bass (currently have a 2012 Fender MIA P-bass....great bass but totally drawn to the Fbass vs the Fender....the fender sits in its case!)

Thanks!

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Here is mine (White Lightning!):

DSCN7124_zpsa57d6e3b.

DSCN7123_zpsfd7846a2.

Ash body...older (2002 or so) Lakie BEM neck....

Hanson Vintage pickups...

4 knob V/V/T/T controls...

pearloid paint (with a hint of blue metallic)

really love it!

Carl Pedigo put it together for me and I cannot be happier!

I am sure Lakland or Carl can do something similar for you....

here are a few clips:

https://soundcloud.com/basspraiser/american-honey

https://soundcloud.com/basspraiser/with-a-little-help-from-my

https://soundcloud.com/basspraiser/walking-in-memphis

3. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    An absolute beauty (and sounds great - thanks for the audio links). Great call adding Lakland to the list. Excellent basses.

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is all Warmoth. I bought the P body years ago from their Thrift Shop - it was already finished, all they did was add a J route. I don't remember what it cost. It's Black Korina/Quilt cap. The J neck was purchased new, all Bird's Eye.

I was running EMG's for years with active BTC. Recently I decided to go passive and put in a set of Aguilar's. All I can say is I've fallen in love with this bass all over again. Running them V-V-T. They are amazing - very well matched. Noiseless J so any combination is dead quiet, and they sound huge - no active pre needed IMO. Very "organic", muscular and girthy. I am very happy with them.

A Warmoth exactly how you want it is something to think about as well. I would never consider selling this bass.

[​IMG]

5. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    I would try an alder body and rosewood fingerboard. I would also consider reversing the p-style pickup; the string-to-string tone sounds more balance that way IMHO,YMMV.

6. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    thank you and thank you.

consider it...

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    SWEET top on that one!

8. This is my Wilkins Roadtested PJ5. Chambered Alder with birdseye maple neck. Pat's custom wound pickups. Hipsot hardware, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. 18mm spacing, bone nut, Matte-finish Candy Apple Red Metallic and 34" scale.

The neck profile and weight distribution on this makes it so comfortable to play that it seems to almost disappear when you're holding it. Great, huge tone. This one is never leaving me.

IMG_2247_zps8c7f51c6.

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Awesome Gus....

I need to visit Pat when i am out there....

Somehow I get a feeling there is a Wilkins in my future!

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009