1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P+J or dual MM's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BrodieMan13, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I'm set on getting a new bass... eventually. Right now I'm plucking on my dad's Carvin LB20. It's alright, but it has a pretty soft, mellow sound and crappy for slapping. I mean, it works and stuff, but I want a little more specific bass. I've been eyeballing an Ibanez SRX700 on musiciansfriend, reading a ton of reviews, etc. I like that it's under $700, it's active, it has 24 frets, and it's neck-through. I haven't heard of many construction problems, making it ideal for me. Of course, I'm going to get it setup to my liking when I get it. I know there's nothing like playing it yourself, but I just know I'm gonna wanna change up the pickups eventually. Stock pickups never work out they way you want them to.
    The problem is, I'm not sure whether or not I want to keep the dual MM combo (probably basslines or nordstrands), or switch it for a P+J combo (same manufacturers, most likely).
    Which combo has more versatility?
    Also, what preamp would best compliment either combo?
    As a bassist of about 2 1/2 years, I still have TONS to learn about tone, and I haven't really played that many basses to know what to look for in a bass as far as sound goes.
    My playing style is all over the place, but I tend to avoid country, classic rock and heavy stuff (scremo, metal, etc.). I favor funk, alternative, jazz, ska, punk... and stuff. I employ many methods of striking the strings (i.e. fingerstyle, picking, slapping, popping, strumming, fret-tapping).

Any constructive help would be awesome!:help:

Thanks,
    BrodieMan13

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I would be buying an updated Fender Jazz Highway 1... play that stock for a while and if you want a bit more pop some Nordstrands in it... for the music you suggest a Jazz would be fantastic.

3. So you're saying ditch the P+J and the MM's and go for a double J?
    The only problem with a Jazz is the way it's built. I don't really like bolt-ons and I like a bit more fret range. The slimness of the neck is nice, but I'm stuck on the Ibanez. The way I see it, the way to go is to find a bass that's comfortable and has decent construction, then gut it and put whatever you want into it. Customization.

Also:
    What do you mean when you say "updated"?
    Do you mean the upgraded bridge, master tone, and neck, or something else?
    Would that be different than just buying one off of musiciansfriend?
    Where do I get a look at the specs on an "updated" bass?

4. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    I would get to a music store and play as many different basses as you can before purchasing. I played a Soundgear for about 10 years and just recently switched to a Fender Jazz. Before buying the SR I played just about everything under the sun (in my price range) - Fender, Ricks, Yamaha, Ibanez, Musicman, you name it. The Soundgear was a solid bass, but they are not for everyone. I really liked the slim neck because I broke my wrist when I was young and had trouble with thicker necks when I first started playing. I also swapped out the pickups on it and then took those pickups and put them in the Jazz. Both were P/J basses.

Bottom line is I was suprised at what basses I liked and did not like. After you figure out what you truly want I would look in the for sale section on this site. I bought the Jazz through there and couldn't be happier, plus I saved a couple hundred dollars off the price of a new bass.

5. Yeah, I try to spend as much time as possible at my local Guitar Center, but they know my face by now, and they get pretty pissed when I spend maybe 2 or 3 hours trying stuff out and buying nothing. I think my biggest purchase was a set of ML Blue Steels. Woo.
    I find that I tend to lean towards slimmer necks. It just makes sense. Why have a big beefy neck unless you've an extra string or two? I mean, I've got long, spindly fingers anyway, but having a slim neck is just comfortable.

6. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    If you're going to do that find a bass with the style of pick ups you want. Putting a PJ in a bass designed for dual MM's sounds like a routing nightmare. I can't immagine getting it to look good.

7. Oh... yeah... whoops.
    I guess that would blow... trying to fit a P-style pup into a MM-style hole... ouch.:meh:
    Lol, well, it looks like I'm sticking with dual MM's!
    Now to choose between Bartolinis, Basslines, or Nordstrands...?