1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J or P/Humbucker ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 22 AWG, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Dimarzio Model J in the bridge

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. G&L MFD in the bridge

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Something else!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. 22 AWG

22 AWG

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Hello,

I have a Fender American Jazz bass I've modded to be PJ, which I'm digging just fine. The bridge has the original single-coil Jazz pickup, and so it hums a lot. I'm either going to swap it out with a Dimarzio Model J or, because I happen to have one, a G&L MFD. My question is: is there a routing template available for the G&L, or do I need to create one by hand?

And the poll, below, is whether you think it should be the Dimarzio or the G&L in the bridge.

Thanks for your time.
    -22 AWG

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    MFDs are great, but I'd worry about being able to balance it with a typical P pickup. If you put an SB-1 MFD there and the MFD at the bridge (with coil switching), you might have something cool. Pickup - SB-2 / SB1 MFD
    Otherwise, the Model J is a safer bet.

Mvilmany and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. If you're going with the MFD in the bridge, get some SB-1 pickups to go with it, otherwise there will be a mismatch in output:

Pickup - SB-2 / SB1 MFD

Mvilmany likes this.
  4. 22 AWG

22 AWG

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Great input--thanks. It didn't occur to me that losing the P would be a problem.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    What P do you have? I'd try to find a good split J to match it before routing for a humbucker (which you can still do later if no J fits your needs). Or maybe just get a matched PJ set, may work best...

6. If you've got a V/V/T controls layout, the output mismatch isn't really an issue,
    but they'd probably sound wildly different...

7. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    Sb-2 split p+ mfd humbucker with single north/series/single south switching. Lots of sound crammed in there. Otherwise simply throw a modej j.

8. 22 AWG

22 AWG

Nov 20, 2015
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thanks for this advice--it's very helpful. I think I'll go with the Model J and see where that gets me. Thanks again.

fermata likes this.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Search the threads and you will find much discussion about this issue. For me, I have found that in contrast to most "conventional" P-bass pickups that can sound a little middy (mine has a resonance hump centered at 1.3kHz), that a "scooped" J-humbucker in the '70's position is a good contrast and can get a good mix tone. I use a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz for its scoop, output and humbucking characteristics.

The other thing I do is to put a .01 capacitor in line from the bridge pickup hot lead to its volume control. This shaves the low end a little bit, yes, but it also gets rid of the impedance volume drop when both pickups are dimed.

22 AWG likes this.
  10. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The idea of a P/MM or P/soapbar has always interested me, but I have yet to play on in person so I can't really say if it is the way to go.
    I like the versatility of my Lakland 44-02 which is j/mm.

11. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The MFD pickups are the loudest pickups I’ve ever played through.

Killed_by_Death likes this.