1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J vs. P/MM configuration?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassMonstrum, Jul 28, 2012.

1. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I have a '70 RI Precision bass that will be modified in the coming months. One of the modifications will be a new pick-up by the bridge. I have a Seymour Duncan MusicMan pick-up in a Warwick that I never use and my first thought was to use this one. However, I have never heard that many P/MM-basses except for a couple of youtube-videos. Another option is buying a Jazz pick-up and installing this. The P/J sound is more documented, even one of my favourites use this exclusively; Duff McKagan.

One more thing; I will not install any active electronics.

So, any thoughts?

2. I went with a P/MM for something different. It is a different sound. In my experience the MM pickup is the dominant pickup, so much so I am now only using it's south coil and have a 10k resistor wired in series with the MM pup to put a little more bias in the P-pup. If your going for a Musicman sound, just remember that most of their tone comes from that active onboard preamp.

My experience may not be the same as yours. I used Duncan SPB-3 & SMB4a pickups and have the bass wired unusual for a unique tone to work with my electro-dark/ abrasive band.

I like having the MM pickup in my P-bass, makes for an interesting stage aesthetic with a big noticeable chunk of extra hardware in the bass. And I like what it does for the tone adding a good amount of brightness and highs while smoothing over the P-Bass 'dopey' sound..... I am naturally a J-bass guy anyways.

Pic from last thursday's gig. I'll be playing it again for tonights show, but now I'm thinking of experimenting with wiring again.... yup, never ends.

P7260132.

3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Hi, Mykk and thanks for your input!

I'm the guy who commented on your youtube-vid :)

4. Mabrothrax

Mabrothrax

Dec 21, 2007
    East Sussex
    I'm putting the finishing touches to a P+MM bass. So far it's passive, but I plan to put in a pre amp soon.

I tried to get the MM placed as close to the traditional sweet spot by flipping the p pickup (EA half stays put, DG half moves up).

2012-07-26202523.

Having some switch wiring issues so can't comment on the combined sound but having the old school p bass sound and (nearly) the modern MM sound is great in one bass.

I have fretless 5 PJ (EMGs) and have to say that the pj sound is more than the sum of its parts. Until the PMM is finished I can't say likewise.

However, the PMM is a rare best and it looks and feels so good!

5. I have had P/J and P/MM basses and like them both. For the P/J, the J pickup is super important, IMHO. The problem I had in the past is that the J sounds thin and out of place by itself. The last P/J I owned had a Nordstrand P5 and a Big Split and it was fantastic.

I currently have a Reverend Mercalli that is a P/MM and I really like that set up. I don't have a coil splitter for the MM, but I know that some MM pickups allow for that, thereby expanding tonal options....

6. Mabrothrax

Mabrothrax

Dec 21, 2007
    East Sussex
    Although I am having issues with it,mine switches from series to bridge coil to parallel, so it can emulate the J sound. Sort of.

7. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    P/Nordstrand dual coils is the one I want to hear.

8. ghostlau

ghostlau

Jul 30, 2012
    Montreal, Qc
    You can take a look at Troy Sander from Mastodon. I think he has that configuration, his bass tone is amazing (If you like stoner/doom metal! ;)) Mastodon_Troy_Sanders_2006.

9. Before the last show I ended up wiring mine with the P & MM north coil in series, and the MM south coil in parallel. Worked really well. I got a lot of comments about how chunky my bass tone was , one guy even said "Meat & potatoes" heh.