Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Jan 13, 2005.

1. prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    yo fellaz,
    wot u think about p-nut of 311? i think he is one of the best modern bassists in rock nowadays, his lines are just amazing, and i really like his reggae style.
    he's a good man
    wot's ur fav 311 bassline??
    i think: prisoner, beautiful disaster, amber, don't dwell....
  2. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I like him a lot, and even though I don't like the feel of Warwick necks, he's the main reason I've thought about picking one up used at some point. Saw 311 on Conan a few months ago, and he rocked.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

English please!! Cant follow the wOOt stuff.
  4. my roommate really like 311 and listens to them all the time...i like pnut, i like when they play those soft songs like amber, and also any song where pnut slaps!
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like 311, and P-Nut can groove. But I haven't listened much to the newer stuff, I haven't bought From Chaos and Evolver yet.
    Maybe I'll do it soon, but there are so many cd's I want.
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    He's pretty good. I used to love their old one called Hydroponic or something. He's got a good 2 hand slap technique. I saw a video of him jumping around doing these big crazy kicks while he was slapping away, pretty nifty. Their drummer isn't too shabby either, but the singers can get annoying. Haven't listened to them in like 5 years though. I heard he learned bass by the Suzuki Method?
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    P-nut is the reason why my first bass was a 5'er. :bassist:

Favorite bassline? I dunno...too many. I don't mind the newer material, but the older stuff is definitely better. Chad Sexton is a great drummer, BTW.
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don't know about that, but I do know that he played violin for a while and learned it by the Suzuki method. So maybe he did.
  9. '

P-nuts pretty tight. deff good grooves and heavy bass.

i wouldnt say that warwick necks have a bad feel to them. theyre really smooth and allow for flexible styles to be played. since ive had my new warwick thumb ive never been happier. cant get any better than a warwick in my opinion.

wut kind of warwicks does p-nut play? i think ive seen him use a thumb, but im not sure.
  10. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Warwick Streamer Stage II 5-string. He used a Bleach Blonde Thumb in the "Love Song" video, but I don't think he recorded with it.
  11. music music MUSIC!!!

"feels so good" is the jam especailly when they say "P-nut BEAT THAT THING" boom bickita bickita bickita bing! well you get the point.
  12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

Exactly. "Music" is my favorite album of theirs.

P-Nut is the reason I wanted to play bass. He made it sound so fun. He is one of my all-time favorite players.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The recent DVD has some good stuff.
    I have always been a little surprised how much more attention Flea gets at Talk Bass
    over P-Nut...seems like there's 10 Flea threads to every 1 Nut thread.
  14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 Music and Grassroots ROCKS. I have seen them live over 20 times and P-NUT keeps getting better and more creative. By far one of my favorite bass players!
  15. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    pnut is one of my biggest influences, ever since i first started playing, he's great. hands down, never overplays and rarely underplays, he suits the band perfectly
  16. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    P-Nut is my biggest influence! He is the exact definition of what a good bass player should be. Like stated earlier he always lays it down in the pocket and never overplays. Every now and then he will use his flash but mostly he stays in the pocket with the grooviest lines.

Favorite basslines?

"P-Nut change it up! One time for ya mind! Watch out!"

The slap bass line in "Nutsymptom" off of Grassroots is badass.

His solo in "Cali Soca" is badass as well!

Such a good player

"I slip only when P-Nut gets me baked from that shake"
  17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I just remembered in their video they ask the drummer, I think, to describe P-Nut in 2 words and he says: Pot & hamburgers :cool:
  18. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Hell yeah I have that DVD its so funny. P-Nut and Chad Sexton make an incredibly good rhythm section. They lay down some of the sweetest grooves. Definately one of the better rythm sections out there in the world of rock. "Rock" is a funny thing to put 311 in though, they are a little bit of everything.

They can do some disco some latin some jazz some funk some dub reggae some calypso some smooth jazz some metal some rock some punk some ska.

Such talented musicians, and there live show is incredible.

The new DVD really captures the euphoria of a live 311 show.