Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Nut's live tone question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    I am a big fan of P-Nut from 311, his live tone is incredible. During slap riffs it is very punchy and cuts through the mix nicely, but while played with fingers it is so low and deep (Very rap/reggaeish).

I was wondering what I could do to get that sort of sound.

I am working with an SWR Workingman Combo and a Fender Jazz.

Any suggestions on settings would be appreciated!

2. Most of P-Nut's tone comes from his technique and his basses. That deep thunderous growl that he gets if very un-SWR like. I've played on setups similar to his and been completely unable to achieve results anywhere near his. I really do believe that 75% of that tone comes from his Warwick SS2.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    P-Nut has been an above average player since before he joined 311. After over a decade of live shows, he ought to have no problem pulling stuff like that off.

It's worth noting however that in addition to really good equipment, P-Nut has a professional soundman helping things out live. Not saying that P-Nut isn't the man.. but that is a factor.

4. i hate to go off topic, but i used to know this band with a bassist that could really cut it up, and i took a close rig to see anything different from anybody elses. from what i saw (other than a vintage 8x10 with a wierd slanted setup) he had humbuckers in his bass rather than single coils or anything else. my guess is he boosts both the bass and treble, but then rolls back the blend on his bass, but then again, i don't know what the hell i'm talkin bout when it comes down to active bass

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 I have owned a Streamer Stage 2 5 string w/ an SWR900 And Goliath 2 about 10 years ago because I was die hard P-NUT! Although I had a good tone I didn't sound anything like him. The reason because it is in his fingers. Live and in the studio he uses:
    Basses): Warwick Amber Azfelea five-string Streamer Two, Warwick chocolate five-string Streamer Stage Two, Warwick Corvette five-string Bubinga with bolt-on neck, Warwick fretless five-string Bubinga thumb bass, Streamer Maple four-string, Warwick Alien Acoustic Bass, '64 Fender jazz bass
    (Amplification): SWR bass 750 and SWR 800 power amps, two 8x10 Megaliath speaker cabinets.
    (Effects): Big Muff
    (Strings): GHS (custom set: .040, .060, .080, .100, .130).
    (Pick Ups): Seymour Duncan bass-line pickups in a jazz configuration.

I truly believe everyone's tone is in their fingers.
    However I do believe that if you change you strings to GHS Stainless steels and changing pickups that you should be able to get a P-NUT like tone so that you can jam along to your favorite records to.

A good sound man can make anyone's rig sound good but if you are not a good bass player you will sound worse with a good sound man!

Just my 75 cents!

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I completely agree with you. Having a top notch soundman will make a huge difference in your tone!

Specificly with P-Nut, he uses his on-board EQ quite a bit. He's constantly tweaking with his knobs. He also has the SD Basslines electronics which have a different tone than the MECs that are standard on the Stage IIs. Also, I've seen 311 play maybe 10-15 times over the past 13 years, and I've noticed that he has different cabs for different venue sizes. I've seen him with a couple 18's along with his 410 cabs on the large venue shows, and I've seen him play with as little as a single 610 cab for smaller gigs, and I would say that there is a big difference in his tone depending on where he plays.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The one thing about his tone that stands out is the mids. When I use the mid boost on my Bart 3 band I get close to that P-Nutty sound. I also use mostly bridge p/u with a little neck and play just over top of the bridge p/u or in between the bridge p/u and the bridge. I use a SWR Bass750 pretty much set flat and the mids I'm pulling are killer.

8. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
  9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1 msquared

I'm sure his tone on-stage is killer, but ultimately his DI or mic'd tone (perhaps further tweaked or not) is being pumped out through a really awesome ($$) front-of-house PA system. Long story short, there probably is a tone difference coming from the house/arena system vs. his onstage gear. Just thinking out loud... :bassist:

10. What is that Chocolate Streamer you speak of? It could be quite, shall I say, tasty. :p

No but seriously what is it?

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm nearly 100% positive that the "Chocolate" Stage II is in fact an Afzelia body. In fact I remember asking him at the time if it was the same specs as my buddies bass, and he said that it was and that it just darkened up nicely. I believe that his first BP article actually backs this up as well. He's retired this bass though and doesn't play it anymore from what I've heard.