1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P4 fingering on fretless

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by noam, Sep 21, 2010.

1. noam

noam

Nov 29, 2007
    Hi Michael and Steve,

Can you let me know about your left hand fingering for perfect 4th intervals on fretless (in standard 4ths tuning), particularly in positions close to the nut? Do you use both single finger stops and 2 finger? Both choices seem to have their issues with intonation and tone, and also it seems that a closer string spacing at the nut helps with the single finger stop, while a wider nut makes for better accuracy when using 2 fingers. I do understand that the fingering largely depends on musical context -- it's more a question of whether you try to often use 2 fingers on a 4th (one fingertip per string) and whether you feel it helps in getting the best sound and intonation.

Thanks

Noam

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Noam,

As you mentioned, I use either fingering depending on the context. With the fretless though, the barre method does seem to be a bit easier to get in tune.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021