1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paging Sadowsky + Lull owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefty007, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have a Sadowsky 5-24, but I have come to the conclusion that I like a Jazz pickup configuration like nothing else (my 5-24 has both pickup closer to the bridge.)

I'm considering selling the 5-24 and getting either a Sadowsky standard or a Lull. I want to have a classic Jazz Bass shape and style. An F Bass, for example, does not qualify, and Celinder and Atelier Z, for example, are hard to get. (And I'm lefty, so a production Fender Jazz 5-string is not available.) I don't want a Warmoth bass either.

What I need to know is how the neck profiles compare between a Sadowsky and a Lull,

and how comfortable is a 5-string, 35"-scale Lull in comparison to the 34"-scale of a Sadowsky.

I'm obviously familiar with the neck of the Sadowsky 5-string and I find it perfect.

I'm leaning towards the Lull because of the lower price, but I'm concerned that the Lull will have a chunky/thicker neck and that the 35"-scale neck will be a nuisance (I had an MTD 535, and I didn't like the comfort of the 35"-scale.)

Whew!

Thanks for any input.

2. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I'd really like a 34" lull 5 string if they made one (do they?) The other thing to consider is the string spacing on the various 5ers. I believe the Sadowsky 5 strings have 19mm string spacing, while the Lull is 18mm.
    Check it out to be sure, but I think that's what it is.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yes, you are right. Sadowskys are 19 mm and Lulls 18 mm, and I'm cool with that. I have a Smith that is 18 mm and I like that string spacing too.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    No. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but Mike tried 34" 5's and the B string was just not very good. This is what I heard from a fairly reliable source.

I think Mike's work is very good. I think Roger is just better. Between that and Roger's 34" B being perfect, for me, it is a no brainer.

I also like the 19mm spacing. Although 18mm is so damn close. One Warwick I still have is 20 mm, dig it!

Mike's necks are nice but just not what I was looking for. Roger's to me was what I had been looking for.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Keep in mind resale value. Sadowsky's REALLY hold their value. I can EASILY get what I paid for my two PJ5's right now if I put them up for sale on TB. Not going to happen.

Mike's stuff can be found very inexpensive on the used market. IF I were to buy a Lull it would only be used because of the resale value.

Personally, for what a used Lull costs, I'd have Nino build me a new bass. Just based on reviews from people I trust, right now, the only other bass I can see owning would be a Valenti.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: My Lull P-5 is 19mm. spacing.

7. I have a Lull M5V and the 35' scale is a little tiring when standing for long periods, but the tone is incredible and the B string "speaks" great. I haven't played a US Sadowsky yet so that's the extent of my experience here. I can't imagine a Jazz bass being any better then my Lull, so I'll have to check out a Sadowsky and see for myself.

8. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

I had an Lull M5V and loved it. Great sound, great B string. I am rather short and the 35" scale killed me. My tendonitis re-occured due to some very long dico sets (octaves!) with a corporate band I play with. I realized that although I love the sound 35" is not for me. The weight difference was also striking. My Lull was much heavier. Not a problem on 45 min sets, but after two hours I could feel it. My Sadowsky is a few pounds lighter and doesn't fatigue me. I find the necks fairly similar but I don't have strong opinions when it comes to radius etc.

9. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've never had a problem with either swapping between instruments with 34" and 35" scales or 19mm or 18mm string spacing.. I dunno.. Just never found one easier or better to play than the other..

That being said, I love my Lull M5V, great tone, great feel, great playability. I've also been looking at possibly adding a Metro M5-24 to the group..

There's no reason you can't have steak and cheese cake...

Lefty007 I'd advise keeping with Sadowsky if that's what you're familiar with. You already know what to expect from Roger and Co. However, Lulls are nice basses as well. I own one and am seriously considering adding a P/J 5 string as well.

Good luck in your search. :)

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    These are the PJ5's you'd want.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    No, I want a P body style.. Plus I'd NEVER have a body that figured covered with a pickguard!!

Positively scandalous!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    More like this Mike:

[​IMG]

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Is it possible that the Lull body was solid and the Sadowsky body was "weight reduced"? Sometimes there are factors as work that you might not be aware of.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Blame Roger. Personally, I love it like this.

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Oh yeah!!!!

:hyper:

17. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

No chambered body on the Sadowsky as it is a Metro.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

The Sadowsky 5 string is one of the most comfortable instrument I have ever played. :bassist:

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    And your greenburst one is one of the nicest I've ever seen!!!

:eek:

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I also didn't find going from a 34" scale to a 35" scale was that big of an adjustment either. Same goes with different string spacings. I switch back and forth on most gigs. I really haven't noticed any problems.:bassist:

I feel the same way about my Lull M5V. It's my favorite bass for gigging and it's one of the nicest basses I've owned. I haven't played a Sadowsky, -but I hope to try out a Metro this summer. :)

That's a big 10-4!:D

Lefty007, my thoughts exactly. By all means I hope you can try out a few Lull's. But it sounds to me like a Sadowsky is the perfect bass for you; 34" scale, a tone you love, great customer support, etc, etc.. IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cool: :bassist:

Best regards and all the best in your search,
    - Art