Pain in wrist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rawgreenbean, Dec 27, 2003.

1. rawgreenbean

Dec 27, 2003
    Hey my bass is in for repairs- and since then my left wrist has started hurting pretty bad. My reach from thumb to pinky is about an inch shorter than my right hand. Is this because I haven't been able to practice bass for awhile? I've also picked up on tapping Vic Wooten style in the last month or so? I'm not quite sure if it's even related to that because it's happened once before. It went away after like a week. Any suggestions?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's probably from poor technique.

While there are dozens and dozens of ways to play a bass and there isn't necessarily a 'wrong' way.

There are some things that people do that can cause adverse affects to their fingers, hands and wrists.

When you are playing you may not notice the discomfort you are causing your wrist until you stop playing, it sounds a little weird but that is often the case.

for example, at wootcamp, we made fire with a bow-drill, now my stance was correct, but my hand position was not, I was pounding away at it for a little while and not getting any results, So I took a little breather, as soon as I moved my wrist from the device, it hurt like crazy! It hurt so bad, I could barely move it. this was because I was applying a lot of excess pressure to my wrist, which was bent at 80 degree angle!

In general, it's best to keep your wrists as straight as you can, and not to apply pressure to them.

there is a workout method I learned at wootcamp that I think has helped me a lot since I started them.

1.Extend your arms, keeping your elbows locked, and turn your wrists left and right as fast as you can for a minute.

2.Extend your arms, keeping your elbows locked, palms facing down, and flap your hands up and down as fast as you can for a minute.

These seem a little silly, but they are very effective at increasing TENDON strength in your hands, arms and wrists, there are a couple more, but for hte sake of time I'll cut this short now, PM me if you are interested in hear about the others.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with better advice, what I've said here is mostly based on my personal experience, I may not know what I'm talking about.