1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pairing an Ampeg SVT 410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ItMeansMischief, May 18, 2011.

1. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    I have long stalked these forums for advice on various matters, but I haven't quite found a direct answer to my recent concern. I'm currently running an SWR 750x head on an SVT 410HLF. I've recently had issues with speakers blowing and was told (whether or not accurately) that possibly adding another cabinet, such as a 1x15 might assist in power distribution. I'm not familiar at all with running full stacks so I was hoping to gather people's inputs on a possible solution or suggestion of a cabinet that can pair with the 410. Thanks!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Another 410 identical to the first. Or a 210 loaded with the same drivers, the 210 with twice the impedance of the 410.

3. I Forget

I Forget

Apr 16, 2010
    The ampeg svt210he is a great match with the 410hlf. It has loads of the mids that are missing from the 410. Loud combination and those extra mids really help cut thru so you're much less likely to run the rig too hard.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if it were me, i'd get a second 410hlf. it's such a unique cab that getting it to match up with another cab that isn't a 410hlf is going to be tough goings.

5. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks for the input thus far! Now if I understand impedance at all, if I run a second 410hlf @ 4 Ohms, wouldn't that bring the total impedance down to 2 Ohms? My head can run at 2.67 at the lowest I believe. I certainly don't want a burnt out head. Again, I'm not super knowledgable about running multiple cabs.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i thought you could run one 4 ohm load off each side of your power amp. that's what the specs appear to say.

7. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    To be clear, by running one off each side, do you mean as in a parallel set up? How would I run them as two separate cabs from the head without pushing it beyond the 4 ohm output? And cheers for your patience with me Jimmy, it's quite appreciated.

8. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i misread the manual. i thought the 750x had two power amps. it does not. apologies...there is a 4 ohm limit. they say you can still run 2.6 ohms 8 and 4 ohm cabs safely, but i see no point in that, nor would i chance it.

10. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    I agree Jimmy, while it says you can run the 8 and 4 ohm cabs safely, it also adds that running that hot will wear the head out sooner, so I scrapped that idea fairly easily.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    welp, you'll either have to go 810 or start watching your volume a lot more carefully.

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    An easier way to save your speakers especially with the 410hlf, do not boost anything below 80hz. It may even help to cut some of those frequencies below 80hz. The 410hlf has a LARGE amount of bass boost normally. Ask for too much bass out of the speaker and it will not be able to handle it.

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Selling it and buying a well designed, well built 4x10 would be your best bet IMO.

Bergantino's AE410 will handle twice the power, sound 3x better and weight around 20 pounds less than a single 410HLF.

Also, it will sound as loud as a pair of HLF's, while being 100 pounds lighter, half the size and cheaper. Better tone too...

And I doubt you could blow speakers on the AE410, unless you're using a 4000W amp.

14. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    Never heard of bergantino's but I'll definitely check it out. I've looked at few 4x10s over the last few days and have developed a new confusion. I've seen the gk neo 4x10 at 8 ohms that can handle 800W. My head at 8 ohms puts out 560W. Is there an issue under powering a cabinet in that instance?

15. I Forget

I Forget

Apr 16, 2010
    Is the 750x one of the swr heads that can sound scooped? The 410hlf is a mid shy, big bottom cab. If your amp is too then you can you blow speakers because you're turning up trying to hear yourself and the drivers die under the strain. Using the enhancer or boosting the lows will make it worse.

If swr says the amp is rated for 2.7 ohm operation I'd use it, just make sure the head has proper ventilation. I've run the 210 ampeg cab with the 410 and they really do play well together. As per Bill's post, I think they use the same drivers and the 8ohm rating is just what you want to go with the 4ohm hlf. As for the extra load on the amp, well I think you will end up not driving the amp near as hard because the pair of cabs is much louder than the 410 alone. It's also much easier to hear with the extra mids and the 210 being closer to your ears.

If you can try the combination my guess is if you like your hlf, you will like it a lot.

16. As MANY here would tell you, there will not be an issue "underpowering" a cabinet. I currently run 300w to my 1200w Orange cab, and it works just fine even at a high volume. Just let your ears tell you how the cab is performing when you turn it up.

17. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    Finally some clarity on the under powering issue. Thanks! However, I have come across a GK neo 412 and have read stellar reviews about it. Would this be a suitable replacement for my used ampeg svt 410hlf? Like I said earlier, I'm looking for more volume and punch without losing the low end.

18. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    GK 412 NEO will sound great for what you want! I do not know about the low end content though - the 410hlf goes too low for it's own good in my opinion. I ALWAYS found that low end useless in a live setting especially with PA supported shows. Buy it and do not look back!

baxter_x likes this.
  19. ItMeansMischief

ItMeansMischief

Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks Gearhead. I have to say, the only thing I hesitate on with that NEO is that is lacks swivel casters and side handles. Not a major issue I suppose and being that I'm 6'5", 265 lbs... lifting isn't a huge concern. Sadly, I can't find a shop anywhere near me (Long Island) that carries one of these bad boys so I can give it a test drive. I dislike buying blind.

20. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Look for people on this forum and find someone with the cab. Take a road trip - bring your bass and amp head with you and try it out. Or order it from somewhere and suck up the shipping charges if you have to send it back. It sucks, but sometimes it is the only way you can do it.