Palmer Cab Merger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmusic17, Sep 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    PCABM_1.jpg

Think I'm gonna snag one of these. I run two 4ohm 410s, but I recently bought a new amp that doesn't handle 2ohms. This will let me run both at 8ohms. Do I need to worry about shortening the life of my tubes by hooking up my cabs this way? Anybody using a series box with their cabs? More info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sartori and tfer like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Amps don't care how you get the impedance they're looking for...they only see the total impedance.

Sartori likes this.
  3. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I have read that altering your cabs ohm rating could make them not as efficient and that it will be dissipated as heat, overworking your amps power transformer and shortening the life of your tubes.

I don't know if using one of these series boxes would cause that problem or not, or if I'm confusing it with a different scenario.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    No problem just a series/parallel box. The tube amp will see 8ohms in series.:)X

bassmusic17 likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    COnfusing with a different scenario, because you're not altering the impedance of your cabs...you're just hooking them up a different way.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021