1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Palmer Speaker Simulator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by _HunterB_, Jul 26, 2020.

1. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    Quick question about the Palmer speaker simulator. My live rig currently is a sansamp rbi into a compressor running direct to the PA. After some experimentation, I’ve decided that I like the sound of a mic’d cab much better with the sansamp. Will the Palmer accurately capture the character of a bass cabinet? I’m thinking the PDi-03. It would certainly be nice to still only have to bring my rack to gigs. Thanks!

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just note that these devices are intended for use with tube amps, they do not have the power handling capacity nor the isolation required for using with most bass amps (especially class D and other bridged topology bass amps) as damage could result.

Afc70, BrentSimons and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Doesnt the Palmer have be driven from something with a power amp? Maybe run the sans amp into an impulse loader then to the PA. Maybe something from Two-Notes engineering.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Geddy used the PDI-05 running in parallel with his RBI\ RPM set up.

5. I think the poster wanted to use this as an ampless rig? Just his sansamp preamp,the Palmer and compressor? No poweramps involved a la Geddy Lee
    Brent

_HunterB_ likes this.
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    BrentSimons, agedhorse and xk49w like this.
  7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Palmers can work at line level or as load boxes. Whether you like the sound is subjective. There are a variety of opinions, especially between the original and the reissued PDI boxes.

IRs are a more modern solution to the problem.

Another thought is to look into some of the other preamps out there, including other Sansamps like the GED series and the VT series. Dark glass also has preamp pedals that you can load IRs directly onto. The RBI is a fine preamp, but it does have a very distinctive sound that does benefit IMO from the warmth and taming added by a speaker cab. There are a lot of similar preamps that will sound more like what you want right out of the box. I think you’ll find the Palmer to be a pricey solution and a bit of a one trick pony. FTR I’ve had the RBI, PDI-05, and everything else mentioned above at some point over the past 10 years.

In fact, you could get a dark glass pedal and use it exclusively as an IR loaded if you want, but I suspect you’d use it for more than that.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I know a few cabinets that simulate a cabinet pretty well.
    Just saying.

Otherwise usually software is a easier way. Or another way of getting realatively satisfying direct signal to board.
    Plenty of cab emulations in software land
    Likewise amplifiers.
    Impulse response software was tricky to run or needed decent computer, few years ago.

Nowdays just a pad or realatively simple laptop can run software and impulse response simulations. Literally library's now of specific classic drivers , cabs etc

Believe what your looking at is more for tube amps. Simulating impedance curve of a cabinet/ speaker driver to get a tube amp to respond like it does with a cab.

They do sound different than just a straight dummy load. Many go direct with a tube amp and use impulse response software for recording direct. But even with very realistic modeling. The amp and sound still don't respond like the tubes usually do.
    Sounds almost ridiculous, but A/B recorded audio comparison with a more complicated dummy load actually is pretty obvious. Anyhoo...more for tube amps. Solid state...don't serve any purpose
    More realistic load for tubes and output transformer

9. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    Thanks everyone for the responses! Yes, I would just be going from the sansamp into the Palmer, no power amp at all. From what I have heard it seems like that would be ok. I did check out some IR loaders, and the Two Notes torpedo cab m sounds really fantastic. Any opinions on these two devices?

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    palmer made an amp in pedal a while ago.

_HunterB_ likes this.
  11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    _HunterB_ likes this.
  12. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Two notes has the authorized line of Mesa cab IRs for a very reasonable price. I’m a fan.

_HunterB_ likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021