Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blaire, Feb 18, 2004.

1. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    What happened to Rex Brown? I know that Dimebag and V.Paul started Damage Plan and the singer has started his own band , but what of Rex? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :crying: Pantera
  2. Both Rex and Phil are in the side project "Down." (Although I guess it really isn't a side project as Pantera is broken up for good)
  3. Rex and Phil basicly stopped associating themselves with the rest of pantera, with that side project ^^ mentioned.
  4. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Thanks people! Its nice to be informed. Ill take a look at both bands Damage Plan and Down as soon as I can. Rock on! :bassist:
  5. It's not that they stopped associating really...Phil has gotten really into drugs, and Vinnie and Dime were basically tired of putting up with all his bull. Apparently, Phil's a pretty big ***hole about 90% of the time.

Since DamagePlan is playing at Ozzfest this year, the members of Pantera got together to discuss possibly reforming and atleast playing a short set at Ozzfest. The meeting was brought to an end, as Phil and Dime started beating the crap out of eachother when Phil told Dime that DamagePlan "Sucked worse than a 90-year-old-woman" (no offense).
  6. OH MAN :D

Yeah the singer guy generally comes off as an arse. Most metal-bands-frontment-that-dont-play-an-instrument are arses. See, just look at Guns N Roses.

Because those like us who PLAY an instrument have a bit more discipline, whereas those who get rich and famous just for screaming into a microphone generally have their egos inflated....just something I've noticed.
  7. ogwa

Jan 11, 2003
    Phil does actually play a pretty mean guitar, or at least he did a few years back when I saw Pantera play a slayer's raining blood, dunno if he's kept it up tho.
    Sad to see whats happened to what used to be my favourite band.
    Down's two albums were pretty fantastic, but I heard they've broken up too, as Phil wanted to concentrate on superjoint ritual.

I doubt any of the Pantera member's new projects will surpass their previous successes, but heres hoping.
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Damage Plan.........Good Times!!! (Best thing to happen to metal since BLS) :hyper:
  9. I don't know about that. My roommate, who is a pretty big Pantera fan, bought that CD. I listened to it, and I just couldn't get into it. The album just has way too many "sounds" on it, like they're trying to go in a hundred different directions, so they haven't found "their sound" yet. some songs were pretty cool though, heard some stuff that sounded like Voivod, KoRn, and various other Metal and Nu Metal groups.
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Actually......Rex is producing Crowbar's new album as well as playing bass for them. I hear he won't be the touring bassist with them though, it's only a studio thing. Check out .

BTW--Crowbar is amazing, and yes, Damageplan does suck.
  11. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Where have you guys heard all these things about Phil and Dimebag not getting along?
    I am sure it is true, I just havent heard it before.
  12. Well for starters, the story graced the cover of Guitar World for this month's issue...
  13. And the fact that this has been going on for a few years...started right before "Reinventing the Steel" was released...
  14. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

The way I've understood it is that Phil has been talking trash about Dime and Vinnie on stage with Superjoint for a while now. Supposedly Dime and Vinnie have only starting shooting back very recently. Who knows? :confused:
  15. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Thats to bad. I always thought that Dimebag and Phil were pretty tight with one another. Seemed to have the same type of attitude.
    BTW, I think Vulgar Display Of Power has to rank as one of the best metal albums of all time.
  16. Phil and Dime were very tight in years previous before they started recording "Reinventing the Steel." At that time, Phil started refusing to do certain types of songs, some of which Dime had spent a lot of time writing the music to. The Main type Phil refused to do were the "slower" songs, similar to "Cemetary Gates" and "This Love." This, in addition to Phil's constant drug and alcohol abuse (though I hear Phil recently kicked his heroin addiction) fueled the breakup and the constant at odds since then.
  17. JustSoYouKnow

Aug 30, 2002
    i heard rex is the full time bassist for crowbar

phil isnt doing down anymore because of trouble with the record lable

superjoint are rubbish and phill has ruined one of the greatest bands ever, IMO

damage plan are pretty good though i think but they just arent pantera :( :bawl:
  18. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I think the main reason for that is that Phil can't sing stuff like that anymore! :D Listen to Cemetary Gates on Cowboys From Hell, then listen to the live version on Official Live 101 Proof - he just can't hit the high notes anymore.

Russ :bassist:
  19. What happened to Big Todd (former bassist for Crowbar and Down)? :confused:
  20. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

He retired after "Equilibrium." He wanted to spend more time with his wife who had just had their first kid.