Parts worth changing/upgrades on a squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nilshn, Feb 29, 2020.

1. nilshn

nilshn

Feb 29, 2020
    Hey guys, i have a squier p-bass made in 2002, in China. I got it for about a 100$. I was wondering - to make this bass as playable and best sounding as possible - what upgrades are worth spending money on?

Thanks in advance!

2. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    Does it play and sound good as it is? If yes, save your money, don't change anything.

nilshn likes this.
  3. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    The first thing to do is assess what you don't care for.
    I know that sounds obvious but if the action is low and it "plays like butter" with no buzz, then doing a setup might not make much difference. That said, a lot of times a $100 bass could use a setup. Relatively easy to do yourself if you watch some youtube videos.
    Strings can make a big difference. If they are rounds and old, or if you like flats or tapes, or a lighter/heavier gauge, then a string change can make a big difference and be relatively cheap. Personally, my life changed when I discovered TI Jazz Flats. They aren't for everyone(and they're expensive), but they last forever. The feel and tone for ME are unmatched. You might hae them though, it's very personal.
    The electronics/pots are sometimes pretty flimsy on cheap basses, so if there are issues in this area, it makes sense to get that squared away.
    A pickup change is a maybe, some Squier's have good pickups and some less so, and of course this can vary a lot with an individual's taste. I had a Squier classic vibe P that I liked the sound of, but I swapped the stock pickup for a roadworn pickup and it was a very noticeable difference. Even my wife in the next room said "hey is that bass sounds better than the one you were playing a half hour ago", and you'd be hard pressed to be any less of a tone nerd than her! A few months later I changed to a large pole MV Atlas pickup and liked it even better.

nilshn likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021