Submission Party Poops - Heatwave

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by LeeNunn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA

Attached Files:

Seanmo and JimK like this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Awesome!
    How was it?

3. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    That was fun. I missed the whole disco era, because I was into fusion at the time. This would have been fun to play live. I like how the 1 usually starts a 16th note earlier. My favorite parts are those eighth note patterns (e.g., measures B7 and B8).

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lee...this is great!
    When Heatwave was current, I was also a Jazz/Fusion guy. Thing is, I realized I was not Jaco/Stanley & would never have that level of facility (i.e. gifted/talented).
    ;)
    So, this sorta R&B/Soul/Pop was what I gravitated to...as far as playing in bands.
    AWB's early albums + Heatwave's early albums really did it for me in that time frame.
    (BTW, I would not consider either "Disco").
    :D

5. LeeNunn

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I was never any Jaco/Stanley either, and never will be. I only listened to fusion, never played it live. I was in an Allman Brothers cover band in the 70s, and I still get nostalgic about that music. I wasn't sure how to categorize Heatwave. Wikipedia calls it funk/disco, and it wasn't what I think of as funk. It was fun doing the transcription.
    That's one of my favorite aspects of this forum: Listening to new music recommended by bass players.

6. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    any players in their 50s or older remember these days - 4 or 5 sets a night wednesday thru saturday. here in the greater sf bay area there were hundreds of clubs, mostly packed.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021