1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Patterson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xlows, Nov 19, 2006.

1. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Anyone know anything about these/own one? All I know is that they were built in Northfield, MN and they stopped being made for no apparent reason.

2. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Inactive

Mar 8, 2002
    The little I know is that Minnesota sounds right.

Maybe 15 years ago or so there was a one issue magazine called the Bass Mint, and on the cover was Jamaladeen Tacuma playing a 7 string Patterson, MAYBE before Conklin started making a name for themselves with 7s.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I remember searching high and low for info on Patterson Basses and the luthier himself I couldn't anything at all other than old phone #'s and addresses.I remember asking Jamaaladeen about the Patterson Bass and he said that the Bass was made for him but he didn't like it because for one,it had to many strings and 2,the strings were extremely close(at least for him)and yes that Bass was made a few years before Conklin put out a 7 string.One of the earliest known 7 string Bass guitar,is the one that was made in 1987 by Michael Tobias for Bassist Garry Goodman.

Here's a couple of clips of Garry playing his 7 string Tobias.

4. craig101

craig101

Feb 23, 2008
    Hi Guys,

I became a member just to reply to this thread. I don't play Bass, but I will shed what I can about Patterson.

From what I gather, Patterson's main genre was open body guitars. I guess they are/were very spendy. up to $15k from what my brother says. like BB King and people of that caliber bought these. very high end guitars.

I think in the early 90's he wanted to try solid body guitars. my brother had a solid body guitar made my Patterson and it was the first solid body made my him, David even signed the neck as such as being the 1st solid body made by him.

it's a beautiful looking guitar, i forget what woods were used in it.

My brothers friend also had 2 solid body Basses made by Patterson. I just found that tidbit out last week. I think one is a 6 string fretless made for slapping. i think my brother said there are 3 frets at the top and nothing else. I think the second bass is a 5 string fretted. I'm not too sure on the details of the basses as I haven't seen them yet.

I asked my brother last week if Patterson was still in business and he didn't know. when the guitar and 2 basses were made, Patterson was in Northfield. I live just north of Minneapolis, so it wasn't much of a drive for my brother and his friend when they had these commissioned.

if anyone has any specific questions i can try and ask my brother.

hope this helps

Craig