Paul Gray:Deserves more Credit

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MOK BASS #1, Jan 30, 2005.

1. My Name is a 17 yrold bassist from ireland.i joined the talk bass community last week and this is my first post.i draw my influences from many bassists:Cliff williams,Flea,Cliff Burton,Jason Newsted,Mike Drint and Paul gray.

So i ask those of you who put down pauls bass skills to pick up a copy of the self titled slipknot album and get ready for a fresh,new take of the bass.

Thanks for your time.

[mod intervention] Welcome to Talkbass, here in "Bassists" I don't allow any Hate, defensive or otherwise. You are allowed your own influences as am I... we all draw from different places. If someone posts something you find insulting... report the post, We'll handle it. If'n we don't, send a PM to Paul (dude that owns the place).

That said, I'm not a fan of the band, but I'm an old fart. What I have heard had some pretty ok bass playing. [/mod intervention]
  2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Paul Gray hasn't really had any opportunity to step out on the last few Slipknot releases, he has seemed content to just supply the bottom end for those big riffs. But on "Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat", the debut album (that most Slipknot fans haven't heard!), he's a lot more versatile, with cool fills, slapping, and much more presence in the mix. Worth tracking down a copy if you're a fan, just to see how much they changed between then and the eponymously-titled album.

To be fair, there isn't a lot of room to step out when you've got an insane drummer, two guitarists, a keyboard/sampler player, a DJ and two percussionists in the band as well as yourself. But I think the main reason people don't take him seriously is the same reason most people can't take Slipknot seriously... the masks! :eyebrow:

Russ :bassist:
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He's decent, as Slipknot evolved, he went down in the mix. I hear the debut has killer bass... but I haven't heard any. The self titled has some OK stuff though. All and all though, the band is too generic for me and the masks don't help.