Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Grey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I know not many rate him his a bassist, but i bought their new album today and he has some great lines that almost blow my sub-woofer. I know, he's not the best, and I'm also aware that people tend to be put off by the masks and stuff like that, but I really like him, I rekon he's great, if only he had better stage performance, but with people like corey, shawn, chris and sid bouncing around, i dont blame him.

His line on Bitchslap is also very very funky, I'm a huge fan of that song! :bassist:

Anyone else like him?

2. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    the thing with paul grey is he's actually playing all the time, whilst sid chris and shawn get to jump around like maniacs and whack stuff with baseball bats.
    i like his stuff on mate feed.... thgey were a good band before they got corey. in the other albums i find it very hard to pick him out sometimes

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nick? :D

Anyhoo, he does have really good tone. I never noticed how much of the mix he consumes. My friends have this game where you do remixes of songs with a rocket ship (I love Japan's twisted sense of creativity) and you can hear all the tracks seperate. He's got some killer tone.

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    His stuff on MFKR was really good, the slapping on do nothing/bitchslap was pretty impressive.. and his taste in basses aswell ;)

5. Yeh I agree Matt. It's interesting cause his instrument if probably one of the loudest next to Corey or Joey, but because of the size of the band and the amount if kick drum and other assorted things that go on, he seems to blend in more than one would expect. I've never really took any notice of his tone before, i'll have to ckeck it out!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, since most of the time he's just following the guitars on the later stuff, I assumed he wasn't doing much and the guitarists just had low endy tone... nope Paul is covering so much ground, it's really quite refreshing... dare I say, "Growly?"

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thats amazing i would love to do that with some albums.. sikth..mudvayne..etc, just to hear it on its own.. and it would be easier to figure out/etc..

8. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    You can hear his bass really well in duality and left behind, the tone is just so dark and growly

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Most of the songs on that game suck though, I forget what it's called. It's very very very strange. Most of it is techno or techno based rock, but it has a few Nu Metal acts like Slipknot and Papa Roach. It also has an awful remix of Rockit by Herbie Hancock.

10. F'nar F'nar, what is Paul's new album called,? Are you talking about Slipknots album Vol.3?

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The cool part about confessions on MFKR is that it's all Paul at the beginning. I thought it was a keyboard for the longest time.