1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paying orchestras in Boston

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Diego Martinez, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Diego Martinez

Diego Martinez

Oct 4, 2018
    Hi! I'm currently a freshman at the New England Conservatory and I find myself needing a way to make money. I would love to find a paid gig in the Boston area or anywhere around it! Anyone know of orchestras needing bass players?

2. Isn't there a bulletin board at your school you check for that?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Paid orchestral gigs around Boston are victims of supply (too much) and demand (not enough). You're only competing with every other NEC, Berklee and Longy bass student plus all the existing jobbing guys, too.

If you double on bass guitar and/or can play jazz/blues/folk/pop/ethnic you'll scrounge gigs a lot easier. You need to start networking immediately to get referrals. Good luck...

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    +1. Also, the playing standard is extremely high for all genres. From buskers and noise-basement shows to jazz clubs and classical venues, everyone can really play. This means all jobs that require "a bass player" are highly competitive. You got into NEC which isn't easy, but, as he said above, there is still a lot of competition.

The only reason I have any gigs at all is by showing up here with a bit of a name and having something different to offer! Even then I end up playing in RI, other parts of New England and NY nearly as much as the Boston area. You are also looking at the same odds for getting bass students, students, graduates & even professors of all these institutions take students as well. I have some students, but, it is thin and takes a while!

The plus side is really just that if you can get a gig with the music you really love, the other musicians will play fantastic. Playing music here is incredible, the pay is all over the map..

5. Contranash

Contranash

Jun 28, 2011
    Kansas City
    For classical music: You need a car. The vast majority of gigs I did to make a living there were only accessible by car.

Also, take all the local auditions you can: BPO, BLO, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Portland, Cape Cod, New Haven, etc.

Last, be patient. It takes a while. There are a lot of qualified orchestral bassists in Boston. Dont expect to earning a livable wage for at least a year.

damonsmith likes this.