Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pbass, pickups, high harmonic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Mar 23, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    On my G string at about the 6th or 7th fret when I play the octave up harmonic plays MUCH louder than the actual note. I read that lowering the pickup might help. I have it lowered as far as it goes and it still rings loud.
    Even with the tone knob adjusted that harmonic is loud.

I have a squire pbass affinity. Just the standard p pup. I also have Fender 9050L strings.

Is ther anything I can do to the bass or do I need an EQ or something else to tone down the highs?

2. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I thought it was the other way around. When a string isnt loud enough, raise the pickup till you reach the desired volume. I'm probably wrong though. I never know what I'm talking about.

-Jon

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    It could be. I read to get rid of the high harmonic you lower it. But I can try both ways easily enough :)

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    You want to lower your pup to decress volume. Sometimes a high fequency will just sound extra loud. Could be your amp, your strings, your pups, or the bass body.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    So how do I figure out why it is happening. It is really annoying when I play that note and it is an octave higher than what should be being played.

6. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I thought you said it is too loud?

Too loud is a lot different then an octave higher. Is it an octave higher?

7. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    To quote myself

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

I didn’t really appreciate your smart-ass reply (considering I am trying to help you).

I know what you wrote and it didn’t make any sense, which is why I asked you to re-word it.

Do you not understand what an octave is?

If it is too loud then you can:

1) Raise your bridge on that string.
    2) Lower your pup
    3) Trim your top EQ
    4) Get a new set of strings
    5) Take it to a set up guy
    6) Buy a new bass.