1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pbass, pickups, high harmonic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Mar 23, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    On my G string at about the 6th or 7th fret when I play the octave up harmonic plays MUCH louder than the actual note. I read that lowering the pickup might help. I have it lowered as far as it goes and it still rings loud.
    Even with the tone knob adjusted that harmonic is loud.

I have a squire pbass affinity. Just the standard p pup. I also have Fender 9050L strings.

Is ther anything I can do to the bass or do I need an EQ or something else to tone down the highs?

2. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I thought it was the other way around. When a string isnt loud enough, raise the pickup till you reach the desired volume. I'm probably wrong though. I never know what I'm talking about.

-Jon

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    It could be. I read to get rid of the high harmonic you lower it. But I can try both ways easily enough :)

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    You want to lower your pup to decress volume. Sometimes a high fequency will just sound extra loud. Could be your amp, your strings, your pups, or the bass body.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    So how do I figure out why it is happening. It is really annoying when I play that note and it is an octave higher than what should be being played.

6. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I thought you said it is too loud?

Too loud is a lot different then an octave higher. Is it an octave higher?

7. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    To quote myself

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

I didn’t really appreciate your smart-ass reply (considering I am trying to help you).

I know what you wrote and it didn’t make any sense, which is why I asked you to re-word it.

Do you not understand what an octave is?

If it is too loud then you can:

1) Raise your bridge on that string.
    2) Lower your pup
    3) Trim your top EQ
    4) Get a new set of strings
    5) Take it to a set up guy
    6) Buy a new bass.