Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PBS (Pledge Week) The Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 8, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Did any of you happen to watch any of the live acts that were on PBS durring pledge week. About two nights ago they had a magnificent line up: KC & The Sunshine Band, Heatwave, Wild Cherry, The Four Seasons, (one original and the rest were really young guys) and a bunch of other groups which I can't remember. (other than the song they did)

It was a pretty good night for music. It was all 70's disco. It was without a doubt a night of very good bass playing.

Does anyone here know who some of these players were? Including the house bassist.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I caught only about 10 minutes.

Heatwave was one of my favourite '70s R&B/Soul bands...their performance on this PBS, IMO, was not up to par(the tune I saw was "Boogie Nights"). It looks like Heatwave-the band is now down to 3 'lead' singers'. Bad imitation 2000 of a band that was once a very, very good group back in the day.

On the other side was A Taste Of Honey. This was the 1st time the bassist & guitarist have hooked up in 20 years? Janice Johnson sang & played well...IMO, she was not 'fakin' it, either; she impov'd just enough, too.
    The guitarist's(I'm drawing a blank on her name) rhythm chops sounded good; her soloing almost sounded a little Punk(very rough around the edges). ;)

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Was that the bassist that was playing a red flying V looking bass guitar?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I saw it. I think she was playing a Tune Bass. KC's segment was pretty good. I wish Adrian was playing but some other cat was there. The Trammps [Disco Inferno] segment was hot! I thought the Heatwave segment was horrible as well! :eek:

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, I thought KC's segment was pretty good too. I wish they'd done a different song though. Something like "Boogie Man" would've been much cooler than "Get Down Tonight"

I wish it was Adrian playing too. Who was the cat that was sitting in with KC?

Wild Cherry's performance was sub-par to me as well. Especially vocally.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, just what the hell was that? That cat probably hadn't sung that tune in over 20 years or more probably! :rolleyes:

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    What'd you think about the bass guitars tone on that one? I didn't like it. Sounded to brittle to me.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

[/QUOTE]I agree! I admit I was a bit distracted by the cat singing! It's funny 'cause that's the only hit those guys had and they weren't even a disco/r&b band!!

What kind of band was Wild Cherry?

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    That wasn't a Tune, it's called a Shark Bass I don't recall who makes it though.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You mean this??

[​IMG]

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That's what she was playing, but a red one.

12. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    It was a good special - Chic sounded good, Freak Out has a great groove. I don't know who was on bass for that one (didn't the original bass player die?). It wasn't Nile Rogers on guitar, but was that Hiram Bullock?

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I saw Wild Cherry open for AWB in 1976.
    I think I recall hearing someone say Wild Cherry was not a "R&B band", per se; obviously, in the mid-'70s, everyone & their brother were becoming "R&B/Top-40/Disco" bands. I even remember a couple of local Country bands morphing into "R&B" bands...they had to in order to keep working.
    ...and they sounded like a Country band trying to play Funk, too.

Back to WC; judging by the concert I attended, they were a Top-40/R&B/Soul band with a Rock-style guitar. Again, that was a norm for the time(Pleasure, Mother's Finest, etc).
    IIRC, Wild Cherry also had a 2nd 'minor' hit...I think I recall the word "honkies" being in it(sounded like a ripoff of their own "Play That Funky Music"). ;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez, Chic IS/WAS Nile & Bernard.
    Bernard did pass...& it wasn't even Niles on guitar?!? Bogus! Bogus! Bogus!

Didn't Chic's drummer, Tony Thompson(also of Power Station) also pass away recently?

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

"What kind of band was Wild Cherry?"

IIRC, they were a rock band attempting to change up their style in an effort to 'make it'! Here's sort of a bio on the band.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cool link, DW.
    I see they were signed to Brown Bag Records? Terrry Knight's label? Terry Knight of Grand Funk Railroad?
    (Knight was just recently murdered, too...I think last week).

FWIW-
    I do like the rhythm guitar part in "Play That Funky Music"(the 9th chords)
    ...and there is something about that album cover!

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ahhhh......yes! THE Album cover!!