1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PC Desktop Calendar/Organization program

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Mar 6, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Any suggestions for a program or app that comes up on your PC desktop and is easy to add events, lists, edits? One I could sync with my phone would be awesome but not a deal breaker. I use a Windows 7 laptop and an Android phone.

Thank you! Internet reviews confuse more than they help.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Google calendar.

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. I was kind of trying to do one not linked to an email. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Plus, I was hoping someone might have some experience with one of the programs that covers several aspects of time management. But thank you.

4. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I actually find the full version of Microsoft Outlook very useful. I think it has functionality that most people don't take full advantage of, but that is true of many apps.

If you don't want the email part of it, I suppose you could probably set it up without the email account. I never tried to do that though, so you might have a problem with it asking you to do the set up.

Outlook has calendars with event reminders. It has portions for tasks, notes, contacts, folders, etc... You can even use it for document storage if you want. It is also searchable, so if you have a lot of stuff stored, you can find things pretty easily. Of course, to me the email just makes it that much more functional, so I would never set it up without, but to each his own.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Give a program called Rainlendar a try. I use it and it works great. No Android version though. You could also check out Mozilla Sunbird, but I haven't tried that one.

-Mike

6. Be aware of Rainlendar free version. Lots of Ad-ware.

I downloaded it knowing nothing is free and expected some advertisement. You can simply decline to download two programs and that's where i should have stopped. I went on anyway and Window stopped a tool bar installation and I uninstalled another program. Now I have to hunt down something that keeps changing my homepage.

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They have started offering a Thunderbird and Lightening combo that looks interesting.

I think I am going to have to cave and work with one that is email based. I was just trying to avoid getting half a dozen emails a day reminding me of stuff I don't need/want to be reminded of every day.

8. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    Yes, my entire family can sync to one calendar. It works amazingly and is free.