Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pc recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by retitled, May 20, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    can i record with my PC? i dont mean with a mic i mean like plugging my bass into my comp, theoreticcaly if i can convert my 1/4" into a 1/16" id be able to plug my bass into my microphone jack. has this ever been attempted? and would it work? if not is it even possible for me to do this?

2. Hello,

Try this for size:

Plug up bass, pedals, everything except the amp. The lead that connects you fx/bass to your amp attach onto this a jack to mini-jack (3.5mm) adapter. Then plug this into the mic/line in on your PC soundcard, it doesn't have bad record quality if your using relatively good software. I use Sound Forge to record, edit etc, because it saves in MP3 and it was free.

Just to let you know this method isn't by any means the "best" way to record to your computer it's just what I do if I want to record it and listen to it back.

I do apologise if this sounds rude, I don't know how much you know about recording in general so I thought i'd write it like that just in case.

Hope that helps

Thanks.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    is 3.5mm the same as 1/16"? and i dont quite understand what u mean by "plug up bass" do you mean "plug the bass"

and dotn worry, no rudness :)