1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 810TX intermittent crackling questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdhuegel1, Oct 15, 2017.

1. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Hello - I'm hoping someone can help. I recently picked up an 810TX with a disclosed blown speaker. The exact one was unknown, but I went ahead anyway. I took the cab home and plugged it in to see if I could figure out which speaker might be blown. I'm running a Behringer Ultrabass BX2000H head for reference (tested good on other cabs so I ruled it out immediately). Upon playing, the cab sounded fine. Turned up the volume a bit and started to hear crackling from the 2 subs second row from the bottom, so I checked them. Movement is smooth, no noise, and they're in great shape. Pulled them out and checked wiring and even did a 9V battery test. All seems well. Wiring looks good so I took one of the noisy ones and swapped it with one on the top row. Upon playing, the noise did move with the speaker, but now the sub beside it crackles as well. It's very odd, as I can hammer away and it sounds fine but will intermittently crackle like a dirty volume pot on an amp. I've checked the connections, tried different cables, and can't seem to get rid of the noise, rendering the cab useless until I figure it out. Could it be the crossover? I pulled the panel and it looks perfectly new. The high freq level knob turns freely and makes no noise through the cab when doing so. I pulled and re-seated the plugs but the noise remains. Any insight? I searched the last 2 days here hoping to find someone with a similar issue but nothing quite matches up. Are there any other tests I can try to rule out blown speakers (which I believe I already did)? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Justin

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    One rule about a cab like that with multiple drivers...it's impossible to drive just one of the speakers past it's thermal or mechanical limit. If one of them was damaged by too much volume, there are going to be many of them damaged.

If the crossover was the source of the noise, you'd hear it through all speakers.

3. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Awesome. That helps a ton. I'm going to check the input jack again just to be sure. Is it a reasonable idea to remove the 2 noisy speakers, put them in a spare cab and test them that way? I'm afraid if they AREN'T blown, that might do the trick (haha). They're the standard Sheffield 1035s (75W, 8ohm) and I'm not entirely sure what to expect when running 2 of them, or that they'll act the same run just as a pair. Thanks for any ideas! I really don't think they're blown or even damaged.. but something is obviously off. Do these suffer the gummed up voice coil like others (although they don't act like it..). Appreciate the reply!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah if you can do that, I'd install each one in an enclosure and test it that way. It could be something that only shows up when the speaker moves a lot so the 9v test or pushing on the cone wouldn't show it. Those shouldn't have the 'gummed up' issue. That's only in the Black Widows that have the foam inside that would deteriorate and fall apart.

5. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Awesome, thanks!! Going to start testing them that way. :)

6. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Well, I pulled one of the noisy speakers and put it in a spare cab. Ran it straight up all by itself through the BX2000H and it sounded PERFECT. No crackle, distortion, fade, or anything. I know that's a ton of juice to 1 10" sub but I had to know. I'm moving on to the other one that was crackling. I will be pretty perplexed if the result is the same; I'd start thinking there's some wiring deficiency in the cab somewhere and that's no fun to hunt down. More to follow.

7. I believe that cab has the drivers wired in paired series/parallel connections.
    My thinking is that if one driver is almost fried(but not completely blown) it could affect the driver paired with in its series connection?

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What kind of cable are you using? I only ask because I had an issue about a year ago where my cabs were crackling intermittently. Turns out it was a bad Monster speaker cable where the soldering had come loose. I tried a new cable (non Monster brand) and all was well. Check the soldering or connections on the cable you're using. I thought I was going to have to buy new cabs.

Just a thought.

9. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    I think you're right. I kept moving down the line and on the 5th sub I got the crackle. Almost immediately too. It fired up then cut out. I played with the cables, volume, etc and eventually tapped the cone. Guess what? It responded. After a few taps, the speaker came back to life for a few seconds, crackled, then cut off. It almost seems to be shorting out. It moves in and out perfectly and has no visual damage but definitely has issues. I haven't pulled it back out to look closer at the connections, but this is definitely a (if not THE) culprit. Once I get a chance I'll take a closer look but at least I know now it's a driver and not the cab wiring - which is quite a relief. I'm going to test the remaining 3 just to be sure... as was previously stated there could be additional issues.

THANKS MUCH for all the help!! Can't wait to get this thing back to functional and see what it can really do with this head. :D

BassmusM6674 likes this.
  10. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Appreciate the input. I did check the cables and even swapped out new ones. I believe I found the issue - and hopefully the only one. One of the speakers seems to be shorting out or dying. I'm going to replace it and see where it leaves me. I'll test the last 3 and make sure they're good too.. Thanks!!

Justin

11. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Cabinet is good to go! I had a Carvin 2x10 extension on my Peavey combo amp so I decided to see what was inside. Well as luck would have it, the speakers were almost identical to the Sheffield 1035s. 200W/8OHM. So, I replaced the blown speaker and HOLY COW. This thing is brutal. I lost 2 plates and a pint glass as a result, but I know it's good to go now. :D Thanks!

12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Partial plates or full dentures? First I've heard of one blowing their teeth out. You ROCK!

floridagatorfan and johnpbass like this.
  13. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    HAHA!! Dinner plates. :O I may have shaken out some dentures at my neighbors house though; I'll have to check!

floridagatorfan and BadExample like this.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    There are enough of us "old guys" here on TB that make that a legit question! :D

BadExample likes this.
  15. They're great cabs. I don't use mine a much as I've moved to stacks of smaller 1x12 cabs lately.
    I used it exclusively for years and never pushed it to its limits because it got too loud (for my bandmates anyways) before that point. :)

16. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    Fair enough! After all.. I'm getting up there myself!

17. jdhuegel1

jdhuegel1

Oct 15, 2017
    I'm loving this thing - although I'm getting used to it with the Behringer head. Losing a little of the highs and turning up the crossover gets a little more hiss than I want. Going to put my EQ pedal through it and see how it goes. It's definitely LOUD. Good grief!

BassmusM6674 likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021