1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey AXcelerator pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaronious, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Are the pickups in a Peavey AXcelerator the same as the Cirrus and the Gbass. I know you guru's know.

Thanks.

2. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    No one, really? :help::eyebrow:

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    aaronious likes this.
  4. So what makes VFL a Plus?
    Marketing?

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Bill,

I own an Axcelerator 6 and a Cirrus 6. The pickups look the same size but the Cirrus pickups are curved on top to match the fingerboard radius while the Axcelerator pickups are flat on top.

So there is a physical difference. Both basses sound great but, of course, the Cirrus has a different preamp and since the Axcelerator is bolt on and the Cirrus is neck through you would expect them to sound different.

The Axcelerator was something of a surprise in that after being set up properly it is a terrific sounding and playing bass.

6. I have a stock 5-string Axcelerator and the pickups are curved, just like on the Cirrus basses. Not flat.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    dralionux likes this.
  7. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Isn't that interesting? Sounds like they used what they had available at the time or, perhaps, the 5 string Axcelerator used the curved PU's and the 6 used flat. It would be nice to hear from another 5 string owner to see if they were consistent in PU shape. What bridge does your 5 have on it?

8. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
  9. On road back from Dundee, will post in a couple of hour.

Axstar likes this.
  10. @Chuck M @aaronios
    My Axcelerator 5 has the curved pickup. These are the same pickups that went in the Cirrus 4/5 and the G-bass.I own all 3 so it wasn't hard to check.
    The bridge is a Wilkinson take on the Schaller 3D, you can set string height,intonation and string spacing. Easy bridge to set up just remember to use metric Allen keys.

dralionux and aaronious like this.
  11. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Just the man I wanna talk to. I have a g Bass. Love it. I've never played an AXcelerator but I want one. I love the way a Cirrus sounds. How close in tonality are these 3.

12. Just in from work so give me about an hour to report back OK.

13. Over the years I have owned many US Peaveys and multiples of each, from the Cirrus, to the GV to the Millenniums and the Axcelerator (mostly fivers). I bought my purple Axcelerator 5 recently because I wanted another affordable 5 string though all my other Peaveys were sold in years past when I decided I was going all Fender. So unfortunately I don't have all of those to compare anymore, but I do remember them all sharing a certain "US Peavey tone" that I do consider unique and distinct. Very modern. While these models may differ somewhat, there is definitely a similar tone about them, which I liked quite a bit. These Axcelerator models in particular are very affordable, as I bought my fiver recently for around $350 with HC on Reverb for just over $350 shipped, and it is a beauty. Sometimes you can find great deals on the Gs and Mills as well, with the Cirrus being the most expensive, but still finding one for around $800 is possible. I have not tried the new import Cirrus (non BXP) models but have been curious about them. In any event, I would highly recommend the very affordable Axcelerators.

14. Not an easy one to call. My G-bass has tapes on it and the AXcel/Cirrus both have different rounds,different ages too. The Axcel sounded much brighter. Pickup placement is different, the Cirrus ones are 135mm from end of fretboard, Axcel is closer to bridge at 155mm from fretboard. I wouldn't say the Ax is really close to Cirrus tone,possibly with some tweaking of the 10 band EQ I run through sometimes.

15. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I can't imagine anyone not liking the tone of the Cirrus or Axcelerator. They are siblings but not twins. My Cirrus has D'Adarrio XL's on it and the Axcelerator has Ernie Ball Slinkys. I intended to put XL's on the Axcel but is sounds so good as is that I have left it alone.

There is an Axcel 5 on Reverb/Ebay right now for $345. It looks like it needs some TLC.

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I own cirrus, accelerator gv, and millennium

The pickups look the same ... It's a tough comparison as all gave different preamps

Sound and feel great ... Same realm as a g or cirrus

17. Forgot all about this post. Earlier this year I popped the VFLs out of my early Cirrus, on the bottom "Axcel 5" was written in white marker pen so as @MNAirHead says it's tough to call with different preamps but the pickups at least are the same.

dralionux likes this.